4210: Boost channel much less volume than clean channel

Discussion in 'The Workbench' started by R.H, Nov 10, 2019.

1. ampmadscientist

ampmadscientist Well-Known Member

These are Fender authorized service centers the techs are qualified for tube amps. Should be knowledgeable people.

2. RickyLee

RickyLee Well-Known Member VIP Member

Do you know if you have the first preamp design or the later preamp design? 1983 is primarily the cut off when Marshall did the new design. But I have seen a few early 1984 models, mainly 4210's, have that first design.

If you do end up going to a shop, please post what the problem was.

R.H likes this.
  3. Gunner64

Gunner64 Well-Known Member Premium Member

My 2205 was weak on the boost channel as well, and the normal channels controls had an effect on the boost channel. My problem stemmed from a broken solder joint where the pots mount to the pcb. I reflowed all of them and amp worked perfect after that. I'm not sure which one was the culprit as I reflowed them all, but that was my experience with mine with the same condition.

R.H likes this.
  4. R.H

R.H New Member Premium Member

Bought several new JJs and spent the time to be more methodical with volume and tone settings.

Wound up replacing the PI with a known-to-be-balanced JJ, and replaced V2. That seems to have taken care of the issue. If the two channels are unbalanced now, I sure can't tell by ear.

Thanks very much everybody.

5. RickyLee

If you pull out V2, then run the amp, you can verify which version preamp you have. If you lose the Normal channel, then you have the later design '83/'84 - '90. If you lose the Boost channel, then you have the first early design '82 - '83/'84.

On the later design, V2 is Normal channel only. I like running lower gain tubes there or even a 12AY7 to give that channel a more clean sound.

R.H likes this.
  6. R.H

R.H New Member Premium Member

Pulling V2, I lose the Normal channel and the Boost channel volume seems very reduced.

EDIT: Maybe the tiny bit of Boost channel I hear when pulling V2 is that channel bleedover I hear was an issue early on with these amps?

Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
  7. RickyLee

Pulling V2 and losing the Normal channel means you have the later design. But then it should not affect the Boost channel. But . . if you have bleedover of Normal into Boost, then that could explain why the volume dropped a bit on the Boost channel.

Thr bleedover you can diagnose by playing around withe controls to find the interaction between channels.

R.H likes this.