4010 Love. Tell Us Why.

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Trapland, Dec 21, 2018.

1. Trapland

Trapland Well-Known Member

I’ve been craving another AC15, so I thought about selling my 4010. For those that don’t know, it’s a single channel master volume JCM800 combo with a single 12” speaker. My current one is the 3 one I’ve had. I always sell them , then immediately miss it and buy another.

It’s great in the living room. It’s great for gigging small stages. It does clean to crunch with a twist of the guitar volume. It’s as loud as I’ll ever need and they sound great.

Today it’s about -2 Celsius here andI was bored. Just for grins, I backed out the minivan, turned on the built in inverter for 115vac, plugged my 4010 in. Then I dimed everything and grabbed my R9. I stood in my driveway with a cranked Marshall and a Les Paul and played the outro solo from “We will rock you.” Then I waved to the neighbors and put the van, amp and guitar away.

I think I’ll keep my 4010.

2. plexilespaul

plexilespaul Well-Known Member

yeah its a beast of an amp!! huge tone in a small package but don't let the little box fool you..
    ask my neighbor

Last edited: Dec 21, 2018
  3. AlvisX

AlvisX Well-Known Member

I have two 4010's (and a a 5010 because Im not a tube snob)
    Around 1984 , I plugged a '59 Tele into one at a store . I immediately bought the tele & told myself that one day I'd have to buy one of those amps
    They are the perfect indoor, close quarters Marshall

4. Trelwheen

Trelwheen Well-Known Member

I've got an early 4010 with wrinkled grill cloth and a beautiful unidentified stain running all down one side.

It's healthy as a hoss, small and light enough to grab and go. It records well. Tone out the ass. If I want more oomph I plug it into a 4x12. It's an amp man's amp, a keeper's keeper. A rocker's dream and a sissy's nightmare.

I guess it's ok :cool:

5. RickyLee

RickyLee Well-Known Member VIP Member

Man, what speaker you got in that beast? You do not worry about toasting that single speaker?

I have an '82 4010 (has the lower B+ JMP era power transformer) and an '84 4010 that is a vertical input BUT, it has the D.I. jack on the back.

I would not get rid of either one of them. But, they are a bit heavy for me to haul around these days with my lower back F'ed up.

6. ampmadscientist

ampmadscientist Well-Known Member

Tell Us Why

Pretty Simple! Marshall invented ( released 1981) the most stable and consistent high gain preamp circuit. This circuit was basically just re-arranging a 1959 preamp.
    So the parts, and the circuit board was already there (from the plexi layout) to build it.
    Nobody has ever come up with a more stable reliable design (even since then).

And as a result of that: everybody copied it. Almost all high gain tube amps world wide are based on that design.
    Nobody has ever created anything that worked better.
    They added even more gain stages to it (like Bogner) but it's still the same basic concept.

So, as a result of this:
    Preamp distortion in guitar amps was defined. For the first time players could get a cranked tube sound, without blasting everybody out of the room.
    This was / is a milestone for all electric guitar players.

The 4010 takes that highly proven tube design to a very portable package.
    For guitar players, this is a no-brainer. Of course you want to play it.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2018
  7. junk notes

junk notes Member

OP
    I have an ad in members classifieds looking for another; to pair up with the matching 1933 cab.
    I have had the funds ready to go!
    Always wondered if Jim tried his own setups when it came to his extension cabs, as the 4010 is an openback and the ext cab is enclosed. Besides the killer looking cosmetics; Together, side-by-side, have a thick fat sound. Stacked, cuts through great when you need it, and convenient when playing in tight quarters. When it is sitting on top of the ext cab, it allows you to control the amp at a hands on level, also making it easy for you to better hear yourself. Separated, the xcab also allows the player to achieve a wide sound.

8. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum Cheers Mitch, and I know what you mean by huge wide sound!

MarshallDog and Trelwheen like this.
  9. Jethro Rocker

Jethro Rocker Well-Known Member

As said, they are a beast. Goes from meh volume to crap your drawers real fast! Loud, obnoxious in a good way Marshall tone! Put an OD in front if you want heavier tones like I do using just the volume control on pedal. Works that way at lower volumes.
    Its like having the king of Marshall 800 tones in a very compact package. And cranked up they sound amazing given that single 12". I have a 1982 with G12-65.

10. SlyStrat

SlyStrat Well-Known Member

To my ears its the closest MV amp that sounds close to a NMV.
    Great little package but loud.

11. RickyLee

RickyLee Well-Known Member VIP Member

A big Welcome to another new M F'er member!

Yeah, I seem to forget the count these days, but I think I might have three of those 1933 cabs. I have one out that I used not too long ago in conjunction with my 1936 cab for a show.

They do look very sweet when you have two 4010's or 4210's or mix even, stacked up with 1933's under them. You wanna talk about a small but stout wall of sound . . . .

12. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

It seems to me @Trapland...if you sell your 4010 to purchase a Vox AC15 you will regret it once again...

I could very well be wrong,....but I don’t think so. :cool:J

13. Rozman62

Rozman62 Well-Known Member

Been looking for a local 4010 for years without success. The few I have seen were too much $. I have a 4104 and just found period correct 65 speakers for it. It's a load to move and gig with. I will eventually find a local 4010 to gig with so I don't wreck my back.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  14. wntbtw

wntbtw Active Member

I have one but don`t get many chances to crank it unfortunately [also have the SS version of it--the 5010 which also is a killer amp and sounds really good at low volumes!] @Trapland I know you got rid of your 2nd 4010 a year or so ago and regretted that enough to buy the 3rd one which you told us that it is the best sounding one of the 3 you`ve owned--so don`t sell it!! Unless you want to buy another one in about 6 months! :)
    [​IMG]

15. Trelwheen

Same here

Trapland likes this.
  16. Trelwheen

What's the going price on them these days?

I think mine was like $800 six or eight years back

17. Kim Lucky Day

Kim Lucky Day Active Member

I paid $1,300 for my '83 4010 a few months ago, bought it online from Guitar Center. For its age, it is in awesome condition, only a few minor (and I mean minor) years on the tolex. Stock G12T65 in it, very sweet amp. I probably overpaid a bit for it but don't care. Was going to gig with it but may just keep it at home to use as a home studio amp and keep it as good as the day I bought it. Don't ever forsee a day I'll be letting this one go...

18. Trelwheen

Mega congrats....

I'm sure it's near impossible to find one in the condition yours is in. I don't think you overpaid one bit.

19. Bsthetech

Bsthetech Member

I have two. An original 1981 4010 combo, and a 1983 4010 that was converted into a head at some point. Both are Canuck models with metal toggles and el-34 tubes. We all know it’s basically one capacitor over the 2204 circuit. I paid $1350 CDN for the pair (about $1000 USD:dude:).

20. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member

That my brother is the score of a lifetime, unless you have a time machine! Cheers Mitch

MarshallDog and Trelwheen like this.