40.000$ for 2 monkeys

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by GuitarIV, Apr 3, 2020.

1. ampmadscientist

ampmadscientist Well-Known Member

And a zero fret.
    How special are those PUs?

2. scott-colorado2016

scott-colorado2016 Well-Known Member

I don't know... They look kinda like P90s but different. I guess most of us will have to wait and see Trogly's demo to hear them.

3. marshalltsl

marshalltsl Well-Known Member

I wouldn't pay 1500$ fora a SG. Agree they sound great but they have a bad balance, the neck weight more than the body.
    Who pay 20.000? The collectors or ultra Iommi fans.

purpleplexi likes this.
  4. GuitarIV

GuitarIV Well-Known Member

I don't think so. Personally, I can't really see any value in these SGs, to me they are a thin piece of mahogany with a sticker on them, two vacant holes in the body and that's that. But people with the cash will still pay absurd amounts of money for them. Who am I to judge just because I don't have that kind of dough? If anything, they will keep their value or go up in price. Gibsons have kinda become a new investment object in the last 2 decades as far as I understand it.

Trogly is a smart guy. He found a niche with his videos and he said in the Steve Howe The Les Paul episode he's planning on establishing a museum in the future for people to be able to drool over all these rare guitars. I enjoy his channel, where else can you find this kind of content? Nowhere.

Even if he sells them at loss, the money generated by the views of the videos will make up for that. I'm pretty sure he knows that, if anything he just transformed 40.000$ of imaginary zeroes and ones on a computer into 2 real planks of wood.

The remaining 18.500$ are the cost for the sticker. Everyone knows the Mojo is in the monkey. I heard the Custom Shop employees had to go to a Crossroads at midnight with the SGs they built, have a tall black man attach the stickers to them and hand him over a million bucks.

Little did they kow it wasn't the devil himself, but his sneaky advocate. Now they are just trying to recoup their losses by selling 50 of them for 20k a piece.

marshalltsl likes this.
  5. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

I apologize for poking fun at your nerd friend, not only does he sound like a nerd he is a nerd for spending $20k on those guitars lol. Hey, but arent we all guitar nerds at heart any way, lets unite and us nerds take over the world! (but I'm keeping my $20k lol)

Mitchell Pearrow and scozz like this.
  6. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

I guess you’re right, we are all gear nerds! But most of us don’t use that term amongst each other despairingly!

Trogly is not my friend, I don’t know him personally. He just a guy on YouTube that makes quality informative videos on guitars we all love, and he does a great job at it.

7. pedecamp

nerd...

8. ampmadscientist

ampmadscientist Well-Known Member

I thought about this and
    I decided that anyone who pays $20,000 for an SG with a Monkey sticker IMHO is pretty foolish.
    Obviously IMHO there is nothing here that makes it worth even $2,000.
    If it was the real SG from Black Sabbath, then it might be worth something.
    It just shows us how ridiculous the guitar market has actually become.
    It shows how hype is used to inflate the value of something far beyond the logical limits of what it's really worth.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2020
    Mitchell Pearrow and marshalltsl like this.
  9. pedecamp

$1200 for the guitar and $18,800 for Tony's signature. Its very foolish, but then they only made 25 of them for the collectors so not a big deal.

Mitchell Pearrow and scozz like this.
  10. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

Yes, the market is crazy and has been for years. I've got a price list from Rainbow Music in New Paltz NY from the early 80s, I picked it up when I purchased my 82 Gibson LP Custom from them in 1982. There are used Vintage LPs on that list from the 50s for around 3 or 4K,.....today they would be in the 30 to 40K range.

In 1959 a brand new Gibson Les Paul was around $280,.....today it's not uncommon to see them for $500,000! Certainly they are not worth that, I don't care how limited the supply of them is. They don't sound or play much different than many other Les Pauls, but they're considered the Holy Grail of guitars. Even new prices are out of control, a new 59 reissue LP is around $7000, my 82 Custom plays and sounds as good or better than some of those, (I've played a couple of them),...I paid $718 for my Custom in 1982!

Mitchell Pearrow and marshalltsl like this.
  11. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

:blah:

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  12. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

They'll sell them all too! I wouldn't want one even if it was given to me, I don't want, and would never buy, any sig guitar,...….except for the most famous sig guitar in history. I really don't consider it a sig guitar at all. In fact when I bought my first one in 1971, I didn't even know there was a guy named Les Paul., :shrug: (well actually Lester Polsfuss)...

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  13. pedecamp

Agreed

14. Phony iommi

Phony iommi Well-Known Member

Pups are John Birch P90s. (Bridge)
    And John Birch superflux p90 (neck)
    I don’t know how special they are, if at all.

15. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom Moderator Staff Member

they're highly regarded.

There's a guy on the luthier forum (sister forum to MF), that made a guitar for Tony. He asked him what he wanted & Tony wanted some Birch mini humbuckers, not P-90s. The guy made a 24 fret replica. He posted the whole story, making the guitar all the way to finish, including pictures of Tony playing w/ it on stage...

Mitchell Pearrow and Phony iommi like this.
  16. Dogs of Doom

I found the thread...

[​IMG]

http://www.luthiertalk.com/threads/tony-iommis-sg-build.92

cool read!

17. Phony iommi

Dogs of Doom likes this.
  18. Phony iommi

@GuitarIV makes a good point about returns on investment.
    I checked out the reverb listing for his guitar, it’s at $19.6k plus $65 to ship. I can’t remember reverbs seller fees but at that high of a price point it’s gotta be a few bucks. Advertising would make up that loss and hopefully then some with as many subscribers as he has.

GuitarIV likes this.
  19. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member

Dogs of Doom likes this.
  20. Dogs of Doom