2x12 vs 4x12

Discussion in 'Cabinets & Speakers' started by JHall55, Aug 23, 2010.

1. JHall55

JHall55 New Member

I'm gonna go from my 4X10 to either a 2x12 or a 4x12, mainly because I'm getting a new head, and it won't fit on top of the 4x10. Besides the obvious (#of speakers, size, weight, etc), what are the main pros and cons of the two. Will there be a big difference in tone etc if they have the same speakers in them?

Thanks

2. Ken

Ken Well-Known Member

There is no advantage to a 2x12 over a 4x12 except for weight and size. I've used my 2x12 for casual jamming and I always wish I'd hauled one of my 4x12's. More bass, better mids...no comparison.

I'd take a 4x10 over a 2x12 if that was an option.

Ken

3. tm0099

tm0099 Active Member

When I upgraded from a 2x12 to a 4x12 the difference was quite noticeable, in a good way. The 4x12 has its own tone/sound, whatever you want to call it and more often than not it's an improvement over smaller cabs.

4. DPTONE5

DPTONE5 Well-Known Member

I had an Orange PPC212C and replaced it with the Orange PPC412C. HUGE DIFFERENCE to my ears!! The 4 x 12 pushes more air and the low end seems much stronger to me.

5. MartyStrat54

MartyStrat54 Well-Known Member

I have a different opinion about this. Most 212 cabs are actually bigger inside "per speaker" than a 412 cab. A typical 1960A cab is around 5 cubic feet of internal space. This means each speaker sees 1.25 cubic feet of space. A buddy of mine just bought a 212 cab and each speaker sees 1.82 cubic feet of space. Sealed speaker systems like more volume for better bass. Generally there is some kind of fill in the cab to prevent boominess and standing waves.

So the bottom line is "some" 212 cabs can have good bass.

Next is SPL of the cab. If you have 4, 97dB speakers in a 412 cab, the total system efficiency is 103dB. However, say you loaded your 212 cab with Eminence Wizards. These are rated at 103dB each and two of them are rated at 106dB. This is a 3dB difference over the 412 cab. This is the same difference between a 50 and 100 watt amp.

So the point I'm trying to make is that not all 212 cabs are going to be out gunned by a 412 cab. The right speakers loaded in the right box can be pretty darn impressive (in a 212 cab).

6. dugger

dugger New Member

I like the sound of my 4x12 over the 2x12 but I've had to compromise because the rest of the band keeps complaining about it being directional and boomy from side/behind(drummer)
    AND I've learned sometimes one can put to much emphasis on personal sound vs the band sound as a whole.
    Outdoor gigs, large halls gotta go 4x12
    Small clubs and bars ,2x12

actually a 4x10 would be a nice compromise...I know, it's gotta look cool too! lol

7. Ascension

Ascension Active Member

Right on man!! I have an old 1980's staggered speaker Fender 2/12 that will stomp on most 4/12's!! The bottom is tight and HUGE sounding with this cab. Right now it's loaded with a pair of 8ohm Celestian G12H30's and it's a flat BEAST. Makes the 1990's Yamaha Soldano 4/12 slant I have with Vin 30's sound plum puny running them side by side.

8. Hillcountry

Hillcountry New Member

I have a large-box 2x12- which is 28"x22"x12" loaded with Eminence Wizards and it is plenty loud.

My question would be that when you mic a speaker...does it really matter how many others are cranking away? Does a 4x12 vs 2x12 change the sound of an individual speaker...or just the overall sound. I mic all of my amps anyway so I generally use the 2x12 cabs.

9. Ken

Ken Well-Known Member

This lends credence to the opinion we stack people have that the B cabinet alone sounds better than the A alone. It's richer and seems more resonant. The A cabinet is quite bright by comparison. I have to say, the full stack really is nice with the contrast.

I have a Woodson 2x12 cabinet with ancient Eminence speakers in it, and it's okay but even my A cabinet sounds better. I conceed it's different speakers, different construction etc. so it's not a great comparison. A 1936 might sound a lot better!

ken

10. MartyStrat54

Yes, the 1960B does have just enough more volume to make the bass a little tighter. If you look at custom 412's they are like three inches deeper. Most builders want to keep the same height and width, so they expand the depth.

Do you guys remember Procter2812's excellent build? This is an oversized 412 cab, but it is only loaded with two 12-inch speakers. Apparently, Marshall made a cab similar to this. One guy said it was a 1961 cab? Anyway, in this cab, you could run almost any speaker and get a lot of low end. I can't remember if he used fill in it to tighten it up and prevent standing waves, but it is a nice cab.

Here are some comments and pictures of a modded 1960A cab that is my number one half stack.

11. eljeffebrown

eljeffebrown New Member

Banding, Snorkeling, High Speed Line Skipping, Boo
    GHAY! Double post!

12. eljeffebrown

eljeffebrown New Member

Banding, Snorkeling, High Speed Line Skipping, Boo
    I agree here with ya marty, a Marshall head through two Bogner (closed back*) 2x12's will destroy a Marshall Head/4x12 Cab combo any day.

The larger size Bogner 2x12 comes in two main styles: a Closed Back or Open Back design. The increased internal cabinet volume, results in an unparalleled hugeness in sound. These easily transported beauties rival most 4x12's in sound coverage. Open Back configurations give a little less bass response but offer really sweet midrange and vintage feel. We do offer back panels so you can convert this larger cabinet into an Open or Closed back design.

[​IMG]

13. TubeStack

TubeStack Well-Known Member

Like my Dr Z Z-Best 2x12 (Theile ported), loaded with a Scumback H75/Celestion G12M mix. Man, that cab sings! It actually seems louder than my 4x12, at times, I think due to the ported opening. It doesn't always have the chunk of the 4x12, but it's definitely got its own thing going on that's damn impressive! :dude:

14. MartyStrat54

A pal of mine got a Monza amp and he wants to get one of those 212 Z-Best cabs. You are seeing more and more tuned enclosures for guitar, because of the rising popularity in baritone and seven string guitars, as well as drop tunings. Guitar cabs are now having to reproduce 55Hz instead of 82Hz (Low E).

15. MartyStrat54

Jeff, there's no denying the build quality and acoustics of the Bogner 212 Sealed Back. They are beasts. I would like to build a clone of one so I could have a real 212 cab. The cab volume is impressive.

16. JohnH

JohnH Well-Known Member

Ive ended up with an oversize 2x12, as a way of converting my old 8 Ohm 8412 valvestate cab to 16 Ohms. Two speakers were taken out and blanked off with ply. Ive kept the two at the top. There's a nice full bass with the volume shared by just two speakers, and its a compact size, easy to carry.

Its a good option, because these cabs are well made for an MDF cab, and they have very good sounding speakers in them

17. Madaxeman

Madaxeman Active Member

I use 2556 (1966) A/B cabs. They are oversized 2x12's. Very portable and light but enough room to still sound large. V30's or another very effiencent speaker helps too.

18. Stratguy

Stratguy New Member

I have a 1960A cab with 75's in it. Sounds great with my TSL 60 but can be a bit of a pain to move around when going out to jam. I have done some research and the 1936 2 x 12 seems to get a very possitive review for the most part. I am thinking of letting the 4 x 12 go and using two 1936's. That way it would be lighter and easier to move and may only need to take one unless we are jamming outside. Any one tried this combination? Being that they are over sized cabs to begin with, it makes sense to me that two of these 2 x 12's together would pobably sound better than the 1060A? Any feedback / suggestions would be great. Also they come stock with 75's in them; what about changing the speakers out for V30's maybe? Anyway, any help would be appreciated. Cheers.....

19. rads

rads New Member

hmmm...if any of you have the exact dimension of bogner 2x12, i think i would like to build a clone also.
    i've tried orange 2x12 cabs with V30, and untill now it's the best cab i ever tried. But untill now haven't tried bogner and CAA yet :p
    Have anyone tried/compared the them??

Anyway, for 1x12 bogner and suhr CAA seems too many similarities, while the price is doubled.
    And i've read somewhere that those cabs were made in the same place, by the same person..
    bogner and CAA 112 cabs pictures from music photos on webshots

20. Michael1987xl

Michael1987xl New Member

I agree with that you and Marty on this. I know I'm the only guy here beating the Univox drum, but my 1005 2x12 is an absolute killer. The Bogner comes in at 25 3/4" height x 29 3/4" width x 11 7/8" depth, according to the Bogner website, which is near identical H&W to the Univox, only about 2.5" less deep than the 1005, so I'm certain that the Bogner is awesome. The Univox also has the added benefit of a centrally mounted sound post, which was stock 40 years ago, but which a lot of guys surprisingly over look. You might want to consider adding one, Jeffe; it does the trick, man.

Bottom line, good construction and more volume per speaker in the box make the 2x12 a winner for me every time.