2x12 v two 1x12 cabs

Discussion in 'Cabinets & Speakers' started by G the wildman, Aug 30, 2019.

1. G the wildman

G the wildman Well-Known Member

Guys can someone with good experience tell me the pros and cons of having either two single 1x12 cabs or one 2x12.

Portability is obvious I am interested in sound.

G

2. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

I would think depending on the size of the cab and the type of speaker a pair of 1x12's could sound good, I've always gone with 2x12's myself just because they are the smallest form factor to sound good and maintain portability. To me a 1x12 is small and is gonna sound small and lack depth, girth, bass, whatever you want to call it, its not gonna sound as big as a 2x12.

3. Michael Roe

Michael Roe Well-Known Member

I'd agree with pedecamp, a 2x12 would probably sound bigger.
    Pros: Two 1x12s might be easier to move around and space in a room. You could run a stereo setup.
    Cons: one more speaker cable needed. Would probably be more expensive than a 2x12.

tce63, pedecamp and G the wildman like this.
  4. BanditPanda

BanditPanda Well-Known Member

This
    CIMG0318 (576x1024).jpg

5. G the wildman

I love that. What does it sound like.

Does it have the Boooom?

6. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom Moderator Staff Member

the thing w/ having 2 single cab's is that you can separate them for better stereo separation (if you have stereo setup).

Nowdays, w/ the way stages are being setup (silent stages, etc), you can get monitor wedge guitar speakers & simply put your head on an amp stand. That way, you put your guitar cab (wedges) on the ground aimed up at you & use the, as monitors & they don't affect anyone else. Or, you could throw a wedgie behind the drummer to give him a bit of guitar.

I pose that to say, the sky is the limit these days. Do what works best for you, under the conditions that you will be in.

I like the 4x12 w/ head setup, myself, but, it seems that I see/hear a lot of complaints about that these days.

G the wildman and Emtbreid like this.
  7. BanditPanda

BanditPanda Well-Known Member

G...in terms of sound it is the best of both worlds. You've got the grounded cab giving you that bottom end the top cab giving you more of the mids & highs. Win/win.
    Also of course the sound is not just playing to your ankles but the top cab giving you more ear candy...but not blowing your head off like a big double stack for instance.
    As mentioned by DOD for sound dispersion on stage you can separate the 2 cabs like on either side of the drum riser or if ya want at either end of the stage. With the addition of stereo effects I can only imagine that to be amazing.
    As you mentioned portability. Just running over to a buddy's for a jam? Just crab a 12 and the head and run. Small cafe or bar gig? Same thing. Bigger venues or out doors you're covered with the 2 x 12 stacked if ya want.
    Looks cool as hell too don't it?
    For me it works. Brings a smile to my face every time I see it. lol. I've got my stack!
    ymmv.
    BP

G the wildman and Dogs of Doom like this.
  8. EndGame00

EndGame00 Well-Known Member

You can also do one open cab and one closed cab... I've done this before when I had two single cabs and they sound huge.... Balance between the beam projection and the 3-d soundscape was perfect...

G the wildman and BanditPanda like this.
  9. Drinkingdeath01

Drinkingdeath01 Well-Known Member

To me it depends on whether your mic'd up thru the PA or not. The 1x12s sound smaller but tighter and sound better thru the PA. The 2x12s sound better and bigger without being mic'd up. I guess it all depends on where your playing for a live situation. Now for recording I perfer the 1x12's because of the tighter sound. I'm also a high gain metal head so take that into consideration. What I like and what you like may be totally different. Try them both and let your ears decide.

Jethro Rocker and G the wildman like this.
  10. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

Chances are the 2, 1-12" cabs will sound better than one 2-12" cab. The 2-12" cab I just bought from Peavey is about 28" wide w/ greenbacks, the 1-12" cab is only 4" less at 24" wide. This gives a lot of bottom end and more tone, plus as BP said, the way you usually stack them gives you a better dispersion of sound which helps you hear and feel it better. If your into stereo you can spread out the 2 as well. I personally like a good 2-12" cab and do have a couple I like, but if I were to start over I think I might opt for 2 1-12" cabs for a mini stack. You can even get slant front and straight 1-12" cabs now.

11. Jethro Rocker

Jethro Rocker Well-Known Member

With 2 singles you can also angle one differently to disperse sound even further.

You can just see the 2 cabs angled on far right. For w small venue with limited space and L shaped.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. mickeydg5

mickeydg5 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Single cabinets are always best but they will cost more if you actually want 2 or say 4. Just make sure you can make parallel and series connections as needed with multiple cabinets.

G the wildman likes this.
  13. G the wildman

Thanks guys. Really helpful

G

14. mickeydg5

mickeydg5 Well-Known Member VIP Member

To anyone who cares separate cabinets for mixing speakers from the output of an amplifier is best as well.

Crikey likes this.
  15. Crikey

Crikey Well-Known Member

Mesa mkes best cabinets especilly 1x12. I prefer a 2x12 closed back but my favorite is old style 2x2 mesa with the open and closed back cab with black shadow speakers. Find one get it.

G the wildman likes this.
  16. Metroman

Metroman Well-Known Member

I love Multiple 1 x 12s. 4 x 1 x 12 anyone???

Just get a TL806 cabinet made with a 3 piece back, so if you like you can also run it 1/3-2/3Semi Open, and Leave the Ports Open.
    It can also be made to be sealed, but don't run it ported unless you have an EV12L, as it tuned for them, and is not good for other speakers, but works great Semi Open, or Sealed. I run mine Semi Open, though I had some made for JBL E120s, and run E120s Ported/Mixed with Celestion 90w Creams, and 150w Celestion Redbacks.
    Tim at TRM Cabinets can make the cabinets. Id use 3/4 Ply. 100%.

They sound HUGE.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

BanditPanda and G the wildman like this.
  17. JBA

JBA Active Member

...And why Marshall dosent offer this is totally beyond me. It's A killer mid priced rig, scalable, very portable, has 4 channels to choose from. Pretty sure sales would be good. What so different in their logic vs ours. I can't even figure out why they don't at least provide a matching closed back cab for the 40 as is? Did I mention no 40watt head! Ahhhhhhrg. :mad2:..:scratch:..:mad:..:wallbash:..:pissed:..:drunk:..:sick:...:confused:

BanditPanda likes this.
  18. JBA

JBA Active Member

I'll take the liberty to post for Marshall lol!

:coffee:... :mods:... :mrburns:... :lalala:...:locked:

BanditPanda likes this.