2X12 cab wiring diagram

Discussion in 'Cabinets & Speakers' started by Lespaulnmarshall, Nov 23, 2011.

1. Lespaulnmarshall

Lespaulnmarshall Well-Known Member

Hey guys,

My 2X12 cab with two 8 ohm EVM12L's in it is now wired like two independent speakers in one cabinet. So it's like using 2 1X12's in a single cabinet.

Is this the best way to wire the cab for using it with two amps or would it be better to wire it in stereo with two inputs? Preferably at 8 ohms. Doesen't matter if it's wired in series or parallel. I'm not planning on using it in combination with another cab.

2. Adwex

Adwex New Member

Using it like 2 1x12's in a single cabinet, and, wiring it in stereo with two inputs....are the same thing. I'm not sure what you mean.

Do you want to use both speakers together with one amp? If so, it'll never be 8 ohms.

3. Lespaulnmarshall

Before I swapped the speakers the previous owner, who built it wired it up with four XLR jacks on the back two were inputs the other two were used to jumper the inputs when only using one input when you want to use both speakers. Both speakers in the cab were 8 ohms and the total impedance was 8 ohms. (when using both speakers.

Right now the sound of each amp comes out of one speaker. But with a 'normal' wiring shouldn't the sound of both amps come out of both speakers?

4. hbach

hbach Well-Known Member

With a switch and two jacks you can have all the combinations. 8 Ohms per side which you have now, 4 Ohms both speakers and 16 Ohms both speakers.

5. hbach

hbach Well-Known Member

You can't connect two amps to the same speaker(s) without damaging the amps.

6. Lespaulnmarshall

Okay thanks.

7. Marshall Mann

Marshall Mann Well-Known Member

I dont see how this is possible with a 2 - 12 set up? Based on 8 ohm speakers, you can yield 4 ohms (parallel) or 16 ohms (series) but not 8 ohms.

8. hbach

hbach Well-Known Member

It would not be 8 Ohms both speakers but "stereo" as LPnM has now each speaker separate for two different amps.
    You are right 8Ohms out of two 8Ohm speakers can't be done.