2525H power light fluctuating/ going brighter then dimmer

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by charlysays, Nov 12, 2019.

1. charlysays

charlysays Member

I noticed this whilst gigging with it a couple of weeks ago. The amp works fine and is about a year old in mint condition. When left on standby the power light would sometimes go quite dim. If switched off and on again it would stay bright for a while. The amp seemed to work the same regardless of the brightness of the power light. Any ideas?
    Cheers

tce63 likes this.
  2. anitoli

anitoli Well-Known Member

Satan. :D

MarshallDog and tce63 like this.
  3. Ken Underwood

Ken Underwood Well-Known Member VIP Member

Without not knowing the amp in detail them any power light that fluctuates in brightness, if the amp is fully operational, then it can only be the light itself, after all the light is strapped across the mains after it leaves the switch.

Get it to a qualified tech to get it replaced.

El Gringo, K2JLX and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  4. MarshallDog

MarshallDog Well-Known Member Premium Member

Its a pretty simple job to change the switch on most Marshalls and they are not that expensive. I would do it myself before it sits at the Techs for a couple weeks!

5. Ken Underwood

Ken Underwood Well-Known Member VIP Member

That depend if you use a decent Tech, any one thats worth its salt will change it quickly as you say its an easy job, but to the unqualified then that tempts problems.

If they are successful then that give confidence to do something more in the future, they then start to think that they can repair anything.

Wish it was that simple

El Gringo, Mitchell Pearrow and tce63 like this.
  6. Thunderslug

Thunderslug Member

If it’s only a year old and you bought it new then it’s under warranty. Contact Marshall and they should fix it.

Mitchell Pearrow and tce63 like this.
  7. dro

dro Well-Known Member

Did the rest of the lights in the room dim as well?
    Might be substance intake.

Mitchell Pearrow, El Gringo and tce63 like this.
  8. charlysays

charlysays Member

It's bang on a year old (marshall warranty is usually 2 years, extendable to 3 yrs by registering with them) however I didn't buy it new. The previous owner is a nice chap and may help me out here though. As I understand it, the owner has to get the amp back to the original retailer and marshall then organise free shipping to and from the retailer which in itself is an annoyance as the nearest marshall dealer is a LONG way away from me, hundreds of miles. As such I may just attempt the ignore strategy for a while as the amp seems to work fine.

9. charlysays

charlysays Member

I don't think so no, it seemed to be just the amp. Im using it at rehearsal tonight though so we'll see what happens. I'm sure it'll be fine

10. spacerocker

spacerocker Well-Known Member

Those switches fail sooner or later, and flickering is usually the first sign. It won't affect the rest of the amp. As others have said - fairly easy to change - make sure the amp is switched off, and don't touch anything else inside the amp as high voltages can persist in some amps for a long time after the mains has been switched off

11. charlysays

charlysays Member

You're bang on. If i tap the switch it will flicker. Amp still works fine so it's just the contact running the actual light. Kinda surprised it's packed up at such a young age on an as new amp. I might replace it some day. I'm all good with avoiding the caps and anything I'm not actually working on for that matter don't worry, used to and still do clean out big PA amps and do basic stuff like cleaning switches, pots and fitting new fans.
    Thanks for the advice and reassurance, was worried it indicated a power supply issue within the amp lol

spacerocker and tce63 like this.
  12. dekauve

dekauve New Member

I have exactly the same amp and the same problem as you. Power light turns on only after 10-15 minutes of using the amp. In my case it is not fluctuating, only on/off. The amp is now two years old. I was also concerned about a possible power problem! How is yours doing now?
    Br
    David

13. El Gringo

El Gringo Well-Known Member

I want some also

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  14. John BNY

John BNY Well-Known Member Premium Member

Probably the power switch failing. I had a problem with my JVM where the power light would not switch on for like 5 seconds. I ordered a replacement switch for $6.99 and replaced it myself, and it solved the problem. Assuming the switch is similar to my JVM, it is a very easy job. There is no soldering. You just unplug the wires and plug into the new switch.

15. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member

I had this problem with a 2104 in 1979 I replaced and 2 months later the same thing happened again, I just said piss on it and never put another one in!!
    I was Young back then and came to the point that I was done throwing money at a fickle light switch.
    Cheers
    Mitch

tce63 likes this.
  16. Theycallmesabz

Theycallmesabz Member

Honestly man I'd try n fix it myself instead of having it sit at the guitar shop for 2 weeks n getting it fixed for 80$