25 Watt Speaker in a 20 Watt Marshall?

Discussion in 'Cabinets & Speakers' started by scozz, Nov 20, 2019.

1. Gene Ballzz

Gene Ballzz Well-Known Member

You Sir are absolutely correct on all points, right there!

On a different note, please allow me to thank you for the knowledgeable expertise that you share here! I certainly don't want/intend to offend or put you off! Simply sharing opinions.

Just My $.02 & Likely Worth A Whole Lot Less!
    Gene

scozz likes this.
  2. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Well-Known Member Sponsor

No worries! I just try to help when I can.

tce63 and scozz like this.
  3. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

I'm an at home player, I mentioned that in the first post. The reason I mentioned it is because I thought it would lead everyone to understand I'm not playing this amp thru this speaker at gigging volumes. So that's the premise of my question,....is a 20 watt amp ok to be played thru a 25 watt speaker at home. Maybe I should've made that more clear, also I'm using an attenuator.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2019
    tce63 likes this.
  4. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

Thank you, I appreciate that! :yesway:

tce63 likes this.
  5. Metroman

Metroman Well-Known Member

Of course its ok to use a 25w speaker with a 20w amp, if using an attenuator. But even at that, I do not think it is optimum.
    For me, theres no way Id use a 25w speaker with a 20w amp. I like all the speaker capacity I can reasonably get vs amp RMS.

I hate any kind of funny business going on with a speaker.

Speaker RMS is a Thermal Rating.

Logically, does it make sense electrically to use a speaker that basically the same watt capacity as the amp, with the amp probably putting out a bit more than the 25w speaker capacity wit a cranked amp.
    At that rate, the ability of the speaker to absorb heat is basically the same capacity as the amp can put out cranked, thus never letting the speaker rest, and if played for long periods of time, is at least suboptimal.

Take Hendrix with a 100w cranked Marshall, and 240w worth of speakers, he still blew speakers, and had MORE vs 2x the amp RMS.
    Makes ya wonder why you never see any old blown Fanes around, because they use 4-8 75-100w speakers ( 600-800w ) for a 100w DR103.

You also never know when you may be able to crank your amp at some point, and wouldn't it be nice to know that the speaker you have will outlast the amp???

That's also 1 thing I try and achieve. Knowing my amp will probably blow long before the speakers. But everyone likes what they like.

I often use 2 x 1 x 12 Redbacks with a 38w Metro GMP45 head. The RB is a really really nice speaker, and is particularly good in an open/semi open back cabinet. Forget your amp is 20w, and the speaker is 150w. Makes 0 difference.

Brian May says when he tours he carries a shitload of Celestion Blues for his Vox AC30s because he blows the crap out of them.

I myself would get a 150w Celestion Redback.

IMHO they are King for a 1 x 12, and the classic Celestion sound.

If not the RB, a Scumback H55 PVC 65w

T.J., tce63 and Scumback Speakers like this.
  6. obx351

obx351 Member

FWIW, I have an 18 to 23 watt JTM 45ish combo with a '72 G12M 25 watt Celestion in it. I also have a PPIMV in the amp. I generally use the PPIMV as my vol and I never go above 60%. It's plenty loud and if I need more vol I output to a cabinet with a single Celestion Gold. Or I use my Blackstar Artisan 15 which has a Celestion Vintage 30 in it. My general rule of thumb is double the watts for the speaker to the amp, so a 15 watt amp should have a min of a 30 watt speaker.

Metroman and tce63 like this.
  7. Scumback Speakers

Maybe I'm reading it wrong, obx351, but doesn't that speaker frame have T1281 stamped on it?

GIBSON67 and obx351 like this.
  8. dro

dro Well-Known Member

2 Greenbacks stacked works great sounds sweet. Use the Orange ppc 112 Closed back cabs. Seemed to be the least expensive way to get a Closed back Birch cab with the most Air volume. Works great for me. Jubileestack.JPG

tce63 likes this.
  9. obx351

obx351 Member

I think it does. So the 55hz not 75hz? Either way, it's killer sounding.

tce63 likes this.
  10. Scumback Speakers

Yes, T1281 would have come with a 55hz cone, not a 75hz. Label should read G12H30 15 ohms 30w 55hz on it.

obx351 likes this.
  11. obx351

obx351 Member

All good, & ty for the correction!

Scumback Speakers likes this.
  12. Scumback Speakers

No worries. I sometimes cough up Txxxx numbers on the carpet when I have a cold...like this week. LOL