25 Watt Speaker in a 20 Watt Marshall?

Discussion in 'Cabinets & Speakers' started by scozz, Nov 20, 2019.

1. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

Did this happen when you were playing at medium volumes?

tce63 likes this.
  2. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

I didn't realize you already had both lol!

tce63 and scozz like this.
  3. Gaz Baker

Gaz Baker Active Member

Thanks for your reply Mate. I figured you'd be the person to talk to seeing as you have tried all those combinations. :yesway:

Is your Creamback a 65 or 75 watt version? (I figure the 65 would be better for my needs)

Cheers :cheers:

4. Sacalait

Sacalait Well-Known Member

Scozz! I had it cranked. Cranked for me is 7 and 7 on both volumes and channels jumped. I'd had that Greenback for quite a few years. The world didn't end. I'll have it fixed one day...

scozz and tce63 like this.
  5. tce63

tce63 Well-Known Member Premium Member

65W

https://celestion.com/product/123/g12m65_creamback/

2019-11-21 21-44-47.jpg

Sacalait, scozz and Gaz Baker like this.
  6. DLW

DLW Active Member

I say one Greenback so you can turn your amp up a little louder than usual and enjoy some speaker breakup. The odds are low you will fry it and the benefits of pushing it are nice. If you fry it your out $100 just buy another or get a used one for $75. This is all if you are only putting one in the combo. If you can get 2 do it as two do sound better than one as others have mentioned.

Gaz Baker and tce63 like this.
  7. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

On 7 unattenuated? Ok, I’m no where near that kind of volume @Sacalait! Let me say right from the beginning the amp I’m using is the SC20 not the SV20, not that it makes that much difference.

At the most I’m playing with the MV on 10 and the preamp on about 4,....but attenuated to about 20%.

That would be close to the loudest, maybe 40% on the attenuator would be the absolute loudest. Here’s a pic of the amp and attenuator settings,....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

tce63 likes this.
  8. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

tce63 likes this.
  9. Gene Ballzz

Gene Ballzz Well-Known Member

@scozz

That attenuator is right at one of its "Sweet Spots" where it sounds pretty good. There are two other "Sweet Spots" at about 1:00 and knob all the way clockwise., while most spots in between are a bit compromised/lackluster to me. I have the same unit (actually a couple years older & RED) and it works quite well in those sweet spots. I also have a couple of the @JohnH designed attenuators that sound much, MUCH better! If you can solder or know someone who can (learning is cool too) you could build one inexpensively/easily! Either way, you should check out this thread:
    http://www.marshallforum.com/threads/simple-attenuators-design-and-testing.98285/
    Long thread, but most of the best stuff is in the last few pages. On the other hand, for even the mildly technically savvy folks, following the evolution of JohnH's design and testing is really interesting! You'll even catch a good idea of why & how most continuously variable attenuators have "Sweet Spots" and some less than sweet spots! With the JohnH units, each switch position is a "Sweet Spot!"

Just Sayin'
    Gene

Last edited: Nov 23, 2019
  10. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

Thanks Gene for the thought,...but I’m waaaaay too lazy to do something like that. I’m retired and I’m an at home player these days,...my SC20 sounds great to me just the way it is. Thanks for the concern, it really is thoughtful of you and I really appreciate it! :cheers:

tce63 likes this.
  11. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

A 25w speaker should not die at 26w, they are usually under rated and will take a lot. I do like a safe margin like a 65w speaker in a 25w amp, but right now I'm running 2 GB's in a 50w Chupa and all is well.

scozz likes this.
  12. Ufoscorpion

Ufoscorpion Well-Known Member

A 20w valve amp could possibly put out 30w ( +50% as rule of thumb ) . So attenuated 20% would be perfectly ok for a 25w greenback .

scozz and tce63 like this.
  13. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Well-Known Member Sponsor

65 Amps used to put out an amp named the London, dual el84, EF86 preamp on one side, 12AX7 on the other channel. They had it tested at Groove Tubes and Mercury Magnetics with their test gear. That amp put out 28w when wound up to it's highest output (around 8-9 on the volume control). They put G12H30 Anniversaries in them, and they would blow them.

And this was without any boost pedals, delays or anything else to increase the signal. Usually amps are rated lower than what they actually put out in real wattage when cranked.

So no, a 25w speaker with a 20w amp is dancing with power handling disaster.

14. Ufoscorpion

Ufoscorpion Well-Known Member

Attenuated to sensible volume it will be more than ok with a 2525 as you well know.

tce63 likes this.
  15. Gene Ballzz

Not everyone is "sensible!" These days, common sense becomes less and less common!

Just My $.02,
    Gene

Last edited: Nov 30, 2019
    scozz likes this.
  16. Scumback Speakers

In his OP there was no attenuator mentioned. If he's going to use one then he should be fine at -3db with a 20w amp with 25w speaker...but not WITHOUT the attenuator.

Ufoscorpion and tce63 like this.
  17. Gene Ballzz

Post #11 of this thread!
    Just My $.02,
    Gene

tce63 likes this.
  18. Scumback Speakers

OP means original post #1, I didn't read all of them to see the update in #11.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2019
  19. Gene Ballzz

Not trying to be a jerk (my apologies if it comes off as such), but its often a good idea to read the whole thread before replying with advice. Of course, we're all human!

With that said, I'm certainly not discounting the validity of a 25 watt speaker being a bit less than safe in a 20 watt amp. I am howevr quite surprised that we are not hearing multiple stories of blown G12M-25 speakers in the 20 watt Mini Jubilee, 2525C combo?

Just Sayin'
    Gene

tce63 likes this.
  20. Scumback Speakers

Not trying to be a jerk, either, but the attenuator in the mix should have been mentioned in the first post since the gear used was being listed. Hard to get the info you need if you leave out an important part of the rig, especially where speaker wattage & power handling are concerned.

I hope the speaker lasts.

tce63 likes this.