2266 Vintage Modern 50-Watt at Low Volumes?

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by jcm800gridlock, Jan 7, 2011.

1. jcm800gridlock

jcm800gridlock Well-Known Member

I have the condo-living guitar-playing blues.

I have been looking at low watt amp heads for practicing at home at low volumes. I recently purchased an Egnator Tweaker head and then later an Orange Tiny Terror head and returned both to Guitar Center within the first week. Both Heads sounded good at moderate volumes but not as good as my Mesa DC3 at lower volumes. I liked the Tweaker better than the Tiny Terror.

I am thinking of getting a 2266 Vintage Modern 50-Watt Head to use with my Avatar (60w) cab. Any thoughts or opinions on how this amp sounds at low-condo-volumes? Can I get decent warm overdriven tones while practicing? I would also use the VM with the band. We play mainly 70’s to 90’s rock.

PS: I recently also purchase a Dr Z Air Brake attenuator and the attenuator only allowed me to increase the master volume on my JCM800 from .75 (at practice volumes) to about 2 (which is usually band volumes). I was expecting to be able crank the MV to 4-5 at the bedroom setting for practicing. I was disappointed.

I appreciate your advice.
    Thanks,
    Doug

2. Snakeface

Snakeface New Member

I used to own a VM 2266 and I think it sounds great at low volumes,... because I was living in a condo too, I had to keep the master at 1 or 2 max, but still, the tone was there... warm and fat. However, as you crank the master, the tone will only get better and better.

3. Georgiatec

Georgiatec Well-Known Member VIP Member

You will sacrifice tone at low volume to a certain extent but the amp still sounds good thanks to the pre amp gain/eq (detail & body) controls...not sure about the speakers you're using. I was using the 425a 100w cab with the greenbacks in it and it was great. The win will come when you play at band levels that 2266 is sweeeet.
    :band::jam:

4. jcm800gridlock

jcm800gridlock Well-Known Member

Thanks guy's. I will be watching for a good deal on a used 50w Vintage Modern.
    Doug

5. BluesRocker

BluesRocker Well-Known Member

Vintage Modern FTW!!!!!