2204s and 1966A - Speaker options

Discussion in 'Cabinets & Speakers' started by Chachi, Aug 17, 2019.

1. Chachi

Chachi New Member

I have a 2204s with 1966A 2x12. It came loaded with one G12M Greenback 25w and one G12 Neo Creamback 60w - both 16ohm and made in England, wired in parallel for total 8ohms. My total wattage with that configuration is 50w, correct? Even though the Neo Creamback is 60w, my total is 50w - so would it be any different if I had two 25w Greenbacks loaded? Still 50w, right?

I don't push the master too high, even in band/live situation. So thoughts on watts to be safe? i have two made in England V30s I could load too, but they are in another cab I'm getting ready to sell (I could sell it with the Green and Cream instead...). The V30s are 8ohms, could wire in series for 16ohm total.

So again, thoughts on safe wattage? Does the Green + Cream combo give me any more safe wattage than two Greens? Is the Green + Cream combo a 'safer' way to get the tone of two Greens?

2. Dino Boreanaz

Dino Boreanaz Member

I have no experience with this amp or cab, but my understanding is that every speaker will equally share the amp's output (assuming they all have the same impedance). So the Greenback could be pushed beyond its limit with your current setup. And it wouldn't be any safer with two Greenbacks ... you'd just have two speakers that could be pushed beyond their limit.

3. wakjob

wakjob Well-Known Member

The 2204S is a standard 1986 2204.
    The g12-65 speakers would be a perfect match.

houseofrock likes this.
  4. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

All your assumptions are correct. I had a conversation with celestion a long time ago and they convinced me not to worry about running my two greenbacks with my 2204. But if you want piece of mind replace your greenback with another cream back. :yesway:

5. Chachi

Chachi New Member

I think the vintage modern 2x12 50w combo comes with G12 C 25w greenbacks. Wouldn't most feel safe running a 2203 into a 4x12 greenback cab? And if so, same would apply with running a 2204 into a 2x12 greenback cab? Just thoughts... not real opinions.

6. Chachi

Chachi New Member

Celestion (Dr. Decibel) said two Greenbacks would be fine. I'm gonna run with it. I don't run the master very high, rarely past '2'. I could swap out for the V30s or two Neo Creambacks, but would probably only do it if I preferred the tone. Doesn't sound like I have a watt-handling problem.

7. eastwood6

eastwood6 Well-Known Member

Or, you could go with a 1965 cabinet with your 2204S and get 4 greenback-sounding 10” speakers that can handle the wattage... (see avatar and sig)

wakjob likes this.
  8. Chachi

Chachi New Member

I've had a few 1965 cabs with G10L-35. I wished I still did. This is the first 1966 I've had. I ended up putting the V30s in last night and I like it. I think I slightly prefer Greenbacks, but settled on this: I prefer Greenbacks in a 4x12, but V30s in a 2x12. The V30s made the 2x12 sound a little bigger. And I don't dislike either. Different flavors. If I had two Greenbacks though... I might've have just kept them in and never thought about it. I had one Neo Creamback in there and I prefer matching speakers vs. mixing.

Kinkless Tetrode likes this.
  9. Matthews Guitars

Matthews Guitars Active Member

If you're not running the master volume much past 2, then you're only putting out a couple of watts into the speakers. And you're also giving up the best tones the amp has to offer, because you'll find that the amp finds its true and most awesome voice when the master is up around 5 and beyond. You should look into getting a Power Brake.

10. Adrian R

Adrian R Well-Known Member

5 or above, master volume setting? Are you kidding me? lol What kind of cab are you using? Where is the preamp set? I run mine with a 4x12.. I rarely set the master volume much past like 1.9! (preamp set round 1pm) The amp is loud as hell at that point...band mates would kill me...

11. Matthews Guitars

Matthews Guitars Active Member

You asked....preamp at 10. Adding drive with a Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster set at noon. My practice level has the master at 3 or more because that's where the big tone is hiding. It's really amazing at 5. My cab is a Hartke G412A loaded with a quad of broken-in Greenback reissues. Yeah, it's loud, but this amp comes ALIVE at these levels, becoming so responsive and dynamic, and it's such a wonderful sound, it's positively addictive.

I'll bet you a donut that your amp's tone will open up quite a lot and become far more expressive if you get the master volume up a little. On mine, as an example, a MV setting of 2 results in a tone that can best be described as a garden gnome performing a very carefully executed fart through a bendy straw. But with the master up at 5, it's more like the tone that I'd imagine that God gets out of his rig. It's not about the volume, it's about the tone qualities. I'm going to be getting a Power Brake soon and that will help me to get that tone at a less abusive volume level.