20w Pa Head Value?

Discussion in 'Let's Talk Vintage' started by coldengray, Oct 17, 2017.

1. coldengray

coldengray Active Member VIP Member

Hey gang

There's a guy in my town with a 20W Marshall PA head for sale...what's the story on these little amps? I've never run across one before.

[​IMG]

liontato likes this.
  2. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom Moderator Staff Member

3. coldengray

Don't know the year but I know it has a Radiospares OT and replacement PT. Strange that the power inlet is in front. I'm going to check it out but would love some insight.

Dogs of Doom likes this.
  4. neikeel

neikeel Well-Known Member

They are nice little amps, not as sweet as the trem equipped 18w which have tube rectifiers. The 20w have two ECC83s and two EL84s and diode rectifiers. Crank one through a G12H equipped 4x12 and they are very plexi in nature. You might be pleasantly surprised. That power inlet on front is particular to plexi era ones AFAIK.

liontato likes this.
  5. coldengray

The guy thinks it's worth $6500 USD and traded a $4500 guitar for it. His plan is to "take it to Gruhn's and trade for a 65 Strat". I told him good luck, he's gonna need it!

Last edited: Oct 17, 2017
  6. London John

London John Active Member

I have a very early one, and it has the mini-Bulgin on the front too. These early ones had 18w PT/OT combination, although the later PT without a shroud. Mine came with a pair of 2x10 cabs with white labelled 7442s, origial covers for the full set and in near mint condition. I paid about US$2,500 six months or so ago......including shipping to my door. Although the mini-Bulgin versions are comparatively rare, the owner of this amp is dreaming on price.

liontato likes this.
  7. slide222

slide222 Well-Known Member

this one is not original , certainly I have never seen the power inlet on front panel - I had a 1972 pa head and sold it , -i got £750 but it had been back to marshall and had new pots and was in very good condition and still had the original cover also in good nick
    the pa version is very clean sounding ,altho I had mine tru a 1x12 g12 80 which are known not to break up much , so maybe a green back would improve that ,i'd say get the guitar or bass version ,if you want one

one more thing is the oblong speakers in the pa 2x12 's are pa speakers and completely useless for guitar -I gave mine to marshall and in return they replaced the pots

Last edited: Oct 18, 2017
  8. London John

OK, a few clarifications.

First, the amp is straight. The mini-Bulgin were used on the first (1968) versions of this amp, no question. That you haven't seen it doesn't make is fake.

Second, the PA columns that came with these heads had 7442's, i.e. 10 inch Celestions, not 12's.

Now, back to normal service.

neikeel likes this.
  9. slide222

slide222 Well-Known Member

and some clarifications from me - I ran mine tru a 1x12 , but when I brought it 20+years ago it came with 2 off 2 oblong shaped speakers cabinets , of which I don't know the size of the speakers , so a mistake there yes , well done

but these pa collums had oblong shaped speakers were pa speakers not guitar speakers and they were not round and were awlfull when you played guitar tru them , I know because I tried them and others had said this to me
    mine was a 1972 pa , and I admit I had not seen earlier examples so another mistake but I never gave a history of these amps just the one I had , but I do know these were also available as guitar versions and bass versions so I have no idea what those cabinets had in them speaker wise

but well done clever clogs , lol

as I said in the first line "certainly I have never seen a front panel like that " so that covers the fact that I was not aware of these ,but I was being helpful , not being a know all , but well done again and maybe read the first line with a bit more thought plz clever clogs

Last edited: Oct 18, 2017
  10. soundboy57

soundboy57 Well-Known Member

I had a mint (as in NOS) condition 1973 20 watt Lead and Bass, more valuable than a PA model, including the original 1x12 greenback cabinet and original covers.
    I bought it and sold it a couple years later for the same amount....$3400.

I think $2K is tops for a head...but I saw one of the 1x12 cabs sell for $1500 with the original G12H in it.
    I sold that same cab for $900 to the guy, so he made a good profit.
    I paid $250 for it, so I did too, LOL.
    Regardless, my opinion of the sound was not great.
    To me, they sound thin and a bit ratty when cranked, even through a 4x12.
    Any 50 watt JMP sounds better, even with a master volume, or attenuator, at the same volume levels.
    My two cents

liontato and tomsvintage like this.
  11. chard

chard Active Member

Unless you really must have it from a collectors point of view I feel you could spend similar money on a much better amp. They aren’t bad amps for what they are but your never going to get 18w tones from it and the front mounted power input is a pain.

coldengray likes this.
  12. stratburst

stratburst Active Member

I have one and it sounds great but you have to jump both channels together or it will sound thin.

tomsvintage likes this.
  13. London John

Clearly.........

Last edited: Oct 19, 2017
  14. BygoneTones

BygoneTones Well-Known Member

Fwiw I have seen some of the smaller PA column cabinets with 10" goodmans in them instead of Celestions. They were original because they had the white Marshall labels on the back (genuine ones, not Justins). They turn up on ebay every now and again.

15. ampmadscientist

ampmadscientist Well-Known Member

That is too cool. I have front power entry envy.

16. coldengray

Pete just saw it posted it on Reverb for $5500!

17. alpha al

alpha al New Member

I still don't believe this to be a PA amp. I have examined it closely. Also, I have compared the 2061 Lead/Bass schematic to the 1917 PA schematic, there is no difference whatsoever. All component values are the same.

18. coldengray

Hi Al, welcome to the forum!

The JTM45 was sold as a PA amp too at one point, with 99% the same circuit as LEAD and BASS designations. Only difference was no mixer bypass on Treble channel, and two output jacks (for each of the PA column speaker cabinets) vs. only one output jack for BASS and LEAD.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2017
  19. London John

As Mike says above, they are PA heads.

20. London John

Curiously, BTW, mine is the only Marshall I've seen without any logo on the head. The cabs it has been matched to all its life have the plexi era logos, but nothing on the head....it was never drilled out for a logo. Weird.