2019 Les Pauls, Have We Been Tricked?

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by KISS NATION, Nov 17, 2019.

1. Sir Don

Sir Don Well-Known Member

Factory Burst.

Mitchell Pearrow and MarshallDog like this.
  2. MarshallDog

MarshallDog Well-Known Member Premium Member

Do you have any pics you can post?

3. KISS NATION

KISS NATION Well-Known Member

I thought they were both none weight relieved.
    even still, not chambering the body means one less process which saves them time and money. The different neck profiles are created by different programs on a CNC machine, a program and a machine that has already been paid for and must have more than paid for it's self several times over by now. So it hardly seems fair to charge an extra £500 for a slightly different shape neck.

4. WellBurnTheSky

WellBurnTheSky Well-Known Member

Not at all actually. Check any video visit of the Gibson factory, and you'll see that, contrary to what you're thinking, pretty much the whole final shaping of the neck is done by hand, the CNC machines only deliver a rough cut neck. Lots of hand work done on their guitars.

This one is older but goes into more details regarding necks:

The price difference between models can come down to many things, but I don't thing any of us has enough inside information to explain this.

5. El Gringo

El Gringo Well-Known Member

I applaud the new ownership of Gibson in going back to the original thought process of making Gibson's . Getting rid of the bells and whistles ( push pull pots, robo tuners etc.) and making the guitars as they were intended to be made . Sure people want certain features and electronics and variety is nice , but not at the expense of reinventing the wheel from ground up . Concentrate on sourcing the best materials and workmanship and craftsmanship and build guitars better than every one else and we will buy them as fast as Gibson makes them .

Mitchell Pearrow and MarshallDog like this.
  6. Matthews Guitars

Matthews Guitars Well-Known Member

Incidentally, my own LP is one of my own creations from 2001. It has four push-pull pots but you'd never know unless you were to pull them.

Volumes rewire the respective pickups as parallel coil humbuckers, which slightly thins the tone and enhances the hum cancelling effect, making the guitar more immune to fluorescent light buzz than a standard humbucker. Tone switches drop one coil per pickup, giving single coil functionality. I don't do phasing, don't like that sound.

I for one like having those options available to me.

Look at the guitar in my avatar. See the two small toggle switches between the volume and tone pots? It's the same functionality in a simplified guitar.
    It's a three way toggle switch. One per pickup. Bat handle down is full humbucker. Mid position is single coil, up position is parallel coil humbucker.
    There are no pulls on the volume and tone controls. On the PRS model "408" they do something similar with two mini toggles but theirs are only two
    position switches.

Antmax and Jethro Rocker like this.
  7. El Gringo

I think weight relieved Gibson's started because of difficulty in sourcing lighter wood . Gibson Custom gets the top tier of raw wood (mahogany , maple, rosewood ) then Gibson USA gets the rest and the weight relief thing started as a way for Gibson to be able to make guitars that weren't boat anchors and weighed a ton .

8. El Gringo

The versatility that this offers can be useful in getting a single coil type sound and ditto for a out of phase flavor as well , and I can see why this is attractive to have features like this at your finger tips . The major concern for me is the what if factor if something breaks or stops working ? maybe mid song or during a gig . This can get costly in repair bills and down time for a guitar that needs to be serviced . I know this as Gospel as I have to ship out my Les Paul's and then not having them and missing them and for this reason alone I went overboard this summer and doubled my Les Paul hoard from 4-8 (which it really is 6 at home today as one is out for service and one is being built for me at Gibson Custom )

9. El Gringo

Greetings , Never say never to adding another Les Paul . As one gent likens them to potato chips , you just cant eat one

10. Jethro Rocker

Jethro Rocker Well-Known Member Premium Member

I can't see them failing any more than anything else. You'd have to use it a lot. The one I really like on my 2016 Standard is the direct bypass output. Lift that knob and all the controls are bypassed with signal going direct out from bridge pickup.
    So if you are playing a quieter passage with both pickups, and say with single coil and volume turned down, you can go directly to searing output and back without screwing with controls. Sweet.

Mitchell Pearrow and El Gringo like this.
  11. MarshallDog

MarshallDog Well-Known Member Premium Member

Those robo tuners...good bye and good riddance!

12. El Gringo

I can see why people would want that feature for exactly what you described .

13. El Gringo

Like how hard is it to tune ? Has to be for the lazy types , and to take it a step further with a BOSS tuner how much easier can it get ?

14. Jethro Rocker

Jethro Rocker Well-Known Member Premium Member

So ridiculous. I can tune by harmonics by ear as fast as anythjng else if I have 1 string in tune. Robo tuners? That was rather insane.

El Gringo and MarshallDog like this.
  15. Matthews Guitars

Matthews Guitars Well-Known Member

I can only speak for the guitars I've made over the decades, starting with my first one in 1986. In all that time I've had precisely zero failures of any components of any kind, excepting only for a few pots that got scratchy and were replaced for that reason alone. That's close to 30 guitars in total.
    Not a lot for a professional luthier, but a decent total for a hobbyist.

I don't skimp. I use best in class parts and they're assembled with care. It does help with reliability.

Mitchell Pearrow and El Gringo like this.
  16. El Gringo

That was how I was tuning by ear up until 3 years or so ago . It worked rather well as long as I had a perfect 440 A to tune around . This is how I tuned when I was in orchestra in school ,which I was given a pitchfork . Worked pretty well .

17. El Gringo

I agree and do the same when I have to replace anything and gives me peace of mind and reliability .

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  18. KISS NATION

KISS NATION Well-Known Member

So you are saying that every neck made by Gibson is the fat 50s style neck, and if they want a thinner neck they slim them down by hand? The neck will be roughly cut to shape on the CNC machine then finished by hand.

19. WellBurnTheSky

WellBurnTheSky Well-Known Member

Seems like a lot of the shaping is left to hand work. They might have different blanks for different shapes, but seeing how necks come out of the CNC machines, it looks like there's still a lot of work done by hand. Which might explain why each and every one of their guitars can be slightly different (within given parameters).

20. rick16v

rick16v Well-Known Member

And why there are so many that get scrapped. In the factory there were bins filled with parts up to full guitars that had mistakes and flaws. All get destroyed.