2018 Marshall Collecting Grail Amps?

Discussion in 'Let's Talk Vintage' started by chard, Apr 1, 2018.

1. chard

chard Member

i was having a conversation with a friend recently about the most sot after vintage Marshalls models. I’m wondering what people’s views are on the topic, very subjective I know but it could be an interesting discussion.

2. neikeel

neikeel Well-Known Member

So subjective, but I presume you exclude high profile players amps with provenance (Hendrix, Page or Clapton Albert Hall amps etc)?
    So from top:
    Dual output trem 45/100 (or non-PA dual output)
    Prototype era JTM45s (offset, coffin logos)
    Rare iterations of 18w combos (i.e. reverb 2x10 or 2x12) - ask London John (or is that Oz Jon?)
    Bluesbreaker type 2 pinstripe (if there is a genuine one?)
    45/100s (KT66 or block end EL34s - which are rarer)
    Black Flag JTMs (50 or 100)
    68 Superleads
    any pinstripe 4x12 cab but tall with strap handles with 20w paper coil speakers at top of list

There will be the odd factory prototype for collectors who have everything else (Baxendall JTM45s, those odd PA cabs with built in amps, aluminium chassis JTM45/100PAs etc.

Any others I have missed?

3. Marshallhead

Marshallhead Well-Known Member

Neil listed the same top two as I would.

In particular, the dual output 45/100, I'd love for one with 6 or 8 knobs and block logo to turn up. I'm aware of several Super PA 4 channel examples, but only a couple of lead or bass models, and none with a block logo.

There is a block logo Super Trem that looks very convincing that's covered on Amp Archives, however it has several Music Ground hallmarks that renders it highly doubtful.

I'm inclined to believe that block logo 100's were only issued to The Who, and there were only 6 in total.

tomsvintage likes this.
  4. Ned B

Ned B Member

You have to be good at spotting the fakes and altered for increased "value" in this pursuit. I would add to the list of desirables the pinstripe 2X12 extension cabs and the vertical 2X12s, especially the first pinstripe ones. Personally I would like 2 particular 100W heads. First is a 4 input Military PT/single OT with early serial # likely in the high 6600's. The other is the last of the Drake transformer SLs with 1203-80 PT 1202-132 OT. This was at the time they were transitioning to the 2 dropping resistors. Another rare find would be a yellow full stack from around September/October 1970.

5. chard

chard Member

The best vintage Marshall I’ve ever heard was a 67 Black Flag JTM50 and have look for one ever since, although the one in question had a few questionable mods as I recall.

6. tomsvintage

tomsvintage Well-Known Member

The previous posts summed it up nicely. I also agree with what Plexi says ~ Not buying the amps as investments. Leave that to the dealers. Enjoying and having fun using these amps enriches my life !!

To the list of rare desirables and sought after models I would add:
    1. 1st series Block Logo BB combos
    2. Transitional JTM45 head with white engraved panels ~ red and silver block logo
    3. Two tone and custom color JTM45 heads and 4 x 12 cabs
    4. Early leather strap handle ~ vynair and pinstripe grill extension cabs
    5. Early 18 watt (already mentioned)
    # 3 and # 4 ~ Extremely elusive. I have only seen pictures of in 1960's band pictures and elsewhere.

As previously discussed to great length ~ being able to spot the lash ups etc...is very important. Many of the members here are very helpful in pointing out the fine details in that regard.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
  7. tomsvintage

tomsvintage Well-Known Member

Brian @ bygonetones shared these pictures of The London Beats with some very early two tone Marshalls a while ago.

Here are The Byrds at Wembley studios with 3 white 4 x 12 block logo cabs and 2 matching white JTM45 block logo heads !

Wonder where they are now :)

John-Pete-and-Mick-1965.jpg The-London-Beats-in-Poland-March-65.jpg Byrds at Wembley studios White Block Logo Marshalls.jpg

Last edited: Apr 3, 2018
  8. London John

London John Active Member

If value is an indication, then early 18w are top of the list. Last one I sold went to a collector for $30k.

coldengray likes this.
  9. chard

chard Member

The 18w numbers seem to be sleepers. Thoses who know really know.......

10. PU239

PU239 Well-Known Member

There are differences in the sound of the same amps between the exact same models and years.

Each black flag JTM doesn’t sound the same as an example. There were great 100 watt superleads and some not so great ones. This is the way it was with the older transformers and caps back in the day.

A true collector will always try the amp first and look it over for any mods made.

You can't assume all these old Marshall's achieve their reputation, they don't. Much of the magic was made by the old speakers the amps were paired with also. Don't expect a 68 superbass to sound the same when you connect it to a 1960A.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
  11. AlvisX

AlvisX Well-Known Member

I would go nuts ,obsessing about this stuff......especially when it comes to Marshalls
    Im happy to not be a "collector",but just a player with a couple cool old pieces that I could afford. Grateful to have those and to know what the REAL Marshall vibe is all about

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
    blues and tomsvintage like this.
  12. pleximaster

pleximaster Well-Known Member

I have said it before don’t by amps for investments buy them to enrich your self and play and have fun with them...

Next generation probably not as interested as we are in buying these old amps

Best plexi

tomsvintage likes this.
  13. pleximaster

pleximaster Well-Known Member

However! This amp would enrich me! :)

But this amp that is in France with what I believe is original blue and white tolex I´d love to get my hands on and restore with original iron! A current owner at the time posted these pictures on the plexi palace forum a few years ago but now the forum is down. So if someone knows its were it is know and like to part with it feel free to contact me! Wink wink!

plexi

tumblr_n563jr13RE1tb16xjo1_1280_zpshbvgdmvi.jpg~original.jpeg tumblr_n563e3ubtY1tb16xjo5_1280_zpspbdhy6re.jpg~original.jpeg tumblr_n563e3ubtY1tb16xjo9_1280_zpsggp2fi61.jpg~original.jpeg tumblr_n56361q2qs1tb16xjo5_1280_zps7scpnles.jpg~original.jpeg tumblr_n53lgiSwqD1tb16xjo6_1280_zpslum9kcfh-1.jpg~original.jpeg tumblr_n53lgiSwqD1tb16xjo4_1280_zpsua3yt8kq-1.jpg~original.jpeg tumblr_n53lgiSwqD1tb16xjo6_1280_zpslum9kcfh.jpg~original.jpeg tumblr_n53lgiSwqD1tb16xjo4_1280_zpsua3yt8kq.jpg~original.jpeg tumblr_n53lgiSwqD1tb16xjo10_1280_zpscvvtjxz6.jpg~original.jpeg tumblr_n53lgiSwqD1tb16xjo8_1280_zpsl7hcwl1p.jpg~original.jpeg

Marshallhead and tomsvintage like this.