1x12 That Dsl40cr Will Fit On Top Of

Discussion in 'Cabinets & Speakers' started by Dave J, Mar 13, 2019 at 1:23 PM.

1. Dave J

Dave J New Member

Hi, new to the forum.
    Recently bought my first Marshall after being a Mesa Boogie player forever. I really like my DSL40CR. I am looking for a 1x12 extension cab to run with the DSL and am leaning towards a Avatar Traditional as it has the convertible option that interests me. Avatar lists the width as 22 inches and the DSL40CR is about 24 inches if I recall.
    Has anyone used this cab with their DSL combo? Their 1x12 Avatar Convertible model is 24 inches and would match the DSL pretty much spot on, but I want the option of the partial open back or closed that the Avatar Traditional offers as I may be sticking a Celestion Gold in it and I have read mixed reviews on how the Gold works in a closed back.
    I actually like the V type the 40CR came with but bought the Gold as well and it currently sits in the combo. I want a cab that would sound good with either speaker as I will be swapping them around to find the best mix.
    Also if anyone has a 1x12 that they really like with their DSL combo I am open to suggestions. That includes telling me a closed back with the combo sounds awesome.
    I play hard rock , classic metal, instrumental stuff in the likeness of Satriani and Santana, and blues. The DSL40CR has a very underrated clean tone and is dead quiet with an awesome FX loop so I do also play clean jazzy stuff as well.
    Still have my Boogie but this DSL is proving to be rather versatile.

Thanks for a great site and any inputs!

stringtree and steveb63 like this.
  2. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom Moderator Staff Member

:welcome:to the forum...

Avatar will make a cab to spec...

according to Sweetwater:

DSL40CR

• Height:19.29"
    • Width:24.4"
    • Depth:9.9"
    • Weight:50.4 lbs.
    according to Avatar, the Convertable:

upload_2019-3-13_10-33-36.png

The combo would be about 7/16" wider than the cab. Divided by 2, that would be 7/32 each side, so less than ΒΌ" hanging over...

stringtree and steveb63 like this.
  3. KraftyBob

KraftyBob Well-Known Member

Another thing to consider is making one or, doing what I did, and converting an empty combo into one. I had the same dilemma you do. I wanted a 1x12 cab but since the DSL is wide for a 1x12 combo it's hard to find something that looks good - not wanting the amp to hang over the sides of the external cab. I was browsing online one day and came across a guy selling a headless MG250DFX that he was using as a 2x12 extension cab. I bought that and rebuilt it as a 1x12 closed back and put a G12T-75 in it. That, with the G12M-65 Creamback in my DSL40C sound great together.

Here's the thread in case you're interested in doing something similar...

http://www.marshallforum.com/threads/1x12-cab-rebuild-project.103392/#post-1745746

Good luck with whatever you end up doing.

Dogs of Doom, stringtree and steveb63 like this.
  4. steveb63

steveb63 Active Member

My stock answer Bob @Sourmash.

He'll custom spec a nice cab, well built, attractive and for a very fair price.

No affiliation, just have bought more than a few from him. Never felt buyers remorse.

Steve

5. Dave J

Dave J New Member

Thanks for all the replies! I see that PRS has a Stealth 1x12 that has a partial open back ( oval) at 24x18x10.5.
    I currently am running the V type in a 1x12 oversized Mesa 3/4 closed cab and it sounds pretty nice, but that cab is ultimately going back under my MarkII. My thinking is an oval back would be more closed than a 3/4 closed but still breathe a little more than a closed back. I should just try and throw something behind that Mesa cab to sort of effect a closed back and see if I'd like it. I certainly have not ruled out a closed back.
    I will check out Bob @Sourmash as well. Thanks for the referral. I like doing business with the smaller guy when possible.

steveb63 and stringtree like this.
  6. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom Moderator Staff Member

I tend to prefer Sourmash to Avatar as well. Both are quality, but Sourmash seems more in tune to Marshall design, while Avatar seems to focus on Orange & Fender. Other than the Bluesbreaker cab, nothing matches Marshall...

steveb63 and stringtree like this.
  7. SkyMonkey

SkyMonkey Active Member

I am guessing you are in the US, but my suggestion is one I am pursuing myself (and putting it out there for UK and Europeans). There is a UK cab builder that ships to the US called Zilla Cabs. They will build a cab to any specification, but in their stock lineup is one called the Mini Modern. Same height and width as the DSL, but slightly deeper for extra stability.

DSL40CR:
    W: 620mm
    H: 490mm
    D: 252mm
    Mini Modern:
    W: 620mm
    H: 490mm
    D: 280mm

On the website there are choices of speaker, grille cloth, and Tolex (plus piping and stripes!).

For and even bigger sound there is one called the FatBaby! Same width but 360mm deep.

Check them out. https://www.zillacabs.com/1x12-cabinets

I have no affiliation. I just really, really want one to replace the 1912 cab that looks far too small under my DSL40CR.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019 at 6:14 AM
    stringtree likes this.
  8. stringtree

stringtree Well-Known Member

9. KraftyBob

KraftyBob Well-Known Member

stringtree likes this.
  10. Dave J

Dave J New Member

That is really awesome work. If you said that was from the Marshall factory I'd not even bat an eye.
    With the open back on the combo and the closed back of your great cab I'd guess you get the room filling effects of the combo and some focus from the extension cab.

steveb63 likes this.