1992LEM vs 1973 Super Bass

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Clammy, Dec 20, 2013.

1. Clammy

Clammy Well-Known Member

Today, I A/B'ed the 1992LEM head against my main 1973 Super Bass (bone stock). The settings were the same (Lemmy's preferred):

Presence -8
    Bass - 0
    Middle - 10
    Treble - 0
    Volume I - 8
    Volume II - n/a

Both heads were plugged into my JCM 800 Bass Series 4x12 and 2x15 cabs. I used my '76 Rickenbacker 4001 (set to the DiMarzio X2N-B bridge pickup) plugged into the Channel 1 high input. No effects, just the bass straight into the amp. I used my Zoom H4, about 5 feet away and about waist height, to record the clips. Between head changes, I didn't move it or change any settings. No eq'ing or post processing. The song is Ace of Spades (of course ;) ). The first couple of notes are chopped off, because I was playing to the track (using my mp3 player and in-ears), and didn't have a count in.

Some personal observations: Setting the heads the way I did, and using my Rick copped Lemmy's live tone bang on. The 73 Super Bass head is WAAAY louder than the 1992LEM (this MAY have to do with the fact that the 73 has NOS Mullard xf2 EL-34 power tubes, and is biased to 70%, and the LEM head is running the stock Svetlana EL-34s, and is at the factory bias, which I understand is usually pretty cold. Both amps have NOS Mullard ecc83s in the preamp. Another possibility is that the plate voltage on the 73 is higher than the LEM, but I haven't actually measure the LEM yet, so that's pure speculation). When you listen to the tracks, the volume difference is strictly from the different amps. The 73 is SO loud at 8, that it overloaded the H4 mics! Overall, I'm not TOO happy with the quality of these recordings, but they give you an idea of what these amps sound like cranked up, hehehe...

Enjoy! :p

1992LEM:
    https://soundcloud.com/clammy69-1/1992lem

1973 Super Bass:
    https://soundcloud.com/clammy69-1/1973sb

Cheers!
    :hbang::hbang::hbang:

Last edited: Dec 21, 2013
    thecasterkid and Marshall Guru like this.
  2. damienbeale

damienbeale Well-Known Member

So aside from the personal observations and settings, which one gives the biggest grin factor, Clamster?

3. Clammy

Clammy Well-Known Member

They both do, but the 73 rattles my teeth! :D Don't get me wrong, the LEM is loud... but the 73 is LOUD!!!! :shred:

Cheers!

4. whatsacleantone

whatsacleantone Active Member

the EQ settings made me lol. this rules!

5. Metalway

Metalway Active Member

To me Lemmy's head got a bit more definition, but the super bass is way louder...So much power...

Both heads are cool anyway.

6. Clammy

Clammy Well-Known Member

The Super Bass was actually a little more defined, but it was so loud it clipped the mic input of the H4, so it sounds compressed on the recording.

Cheers!

7. Metalway

Metalway Active Member

Good to know, with the recordings I thought it was Lemmy's head with more definition. It's alway best to hear it live.

The volume at 8 must have been painful for your neighbors...:lol:

8. Clammy

Clammy Well-Known Member

Even with the bass at zero "earth-shaking" is not even a tiny exaggeration! :D

I've recorded the whole band at rehearsal (where we play LOUD) with the H4, and the mics never had any problems, but the 73 at that volume just totally overloaded them!

Cheers!

9. Metalway

Metalway Active Member

It's one of the joy to play bass with a Marshall...you never short of volume power. Almost sad for those who play with Ampeg...:lol:

10. Metalway

Metalway Active Member

What's your opinion if you compare Lemmy's head with the VBA 400? 2 different beast aren't they?​

11. Clammy

Clammy Well-Known Member

Yeah, very different voices. Both are amazing amps, though!

Cheers!

12. dreyn77

dreyn77 Well-Known Member

SO! you're using the SAME guitar! the SAME pickup! and one is WAY louder!
    Well, 'he' did say it has the 'digital' front end...

You need to have 'active' pickups and 'Boss' effects for the front.

Is it about 'half' as loud?
    sound's like 'half' the voltage? sounds like NOT the FULL sinewave? I wonder about you....?

13. dreyn77

It's the OLD 'signature' trick!
    "I can't make a buck from sombody else's product".

14. LMP2204

LMP2204 Active Member

Nice clips, The 73 definitely sounds more Lemmy only because its clipping the mic. However I think you should check the bias of the LEM and play with it. it should be just as loud as the 73. A local guitar shop has a new LEM1992 in stock by my house and im tempted to go in there and plug in a guitar and give it a test. I really wanna hear a guitar into it just because everybody uses them for bass only. but I imagine it would sound kick ass with a Les or Strat plugged in. Glad to hear some coverage of the lesser known marshalls!! Wish marshall would Do some reissues of the later 70's jmps.

15. Clammy

Clammy Well-Known Member

I mainly play guitar through my Super Basses, and they sound amazing as guitar amps. The same with the Lemmy head. I will be checking the bias on her, and see if that makes a difference.

Cheers!

16. dreyn77

Oh, internet blindness. I see!
    hahahaha

17. Clammy

Clammy Well-Known Member

Do me, and those who are interested in this topic a favour, and keep your demented spewing out of it.

Thank you.

18. dreyn77

well when you get it right (in a few years) you'll be chucking one or both amps into the rubbish!

I can see it now! FUNNY GUY! hahahahaha. (he bought a quiet amp folks! said it himself, he did!)

19. damienbeale

damienbeale Well-Known Member

MODS...

I for one am growing very tired of this paranoid, delusional, hallucinating buffoon...

bulldozer1984 and Clammy like this.
  20. Blueslicks

Blueslicks Well-Known Member

Dude, with all due respect...

Clammy is an actively gigging and seasoned pro. The guy actually does play large arenas and festivals which can be easily verified online.

He's the real deal and not only owns a wall of stacks but consistently uses them for their intended purpose. This is a valuable asset to a forum like this where people can actually gain knowledge from someone who can attest to matters accurately and with hard won wisdom.

You dude are just another internet mouthpiece with quite obviously very little knowledge of how these amps perform when wheeled out of a basement and into a venue.

There is an old saying, I believe it was by Abe Lincoln which states...

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt"

For you it is much too late.

I suggest you retire your name, come back as a new member and try again.

Please STFU and know your role.

Clammy, damienbeale and Metalway like this.