1986 2204 oddity - some help please?

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by DrAndy, Feb 16, 2020.

1. DrAndy

DrAndy New Member

Just hoping some folks here may be able to shed a little light on this for me, as there seem to be a lot of people on this forum with an encyclopedic knowledge of all things black, gold, tolexed and crunchy...

A while back (during a search for a 2204s), I took a foolish punt on a gear classifieds website in France, where an advert promised a 2204S head (the scarce smallbox 50 watt 2204).

Sadly, when the head arrived it hadn't been well packed, and had clearly taken a beating. It also wasn't as advertised. It was a standard (longbox) 1986 2204 50-watt Mk 2 head, with a JMP style head cabinet and a genuine 2204S faceplate. It seems genuine (my local tech agrees, as do Marshall's Heritage dept) and I wondered if the faceplate had just been swapped at some point - but there aren't any other drillholes in the chassis front underneath the plate. Also, having checked with Marshall, no other typical horizontal input faceplate from the era would fit the holes that have been drilled (switches etc) so eventually I've come to the conclusion that perhaps this oddity left the factory like this..?

Anyone got any ideas what's going on?

Before anyone asks, the seller didn't give a toss and Paypal decided the documentation I provided was insufficient to demonstrate that this was not as advertised (despite formal correspondence from a reputable local amp tech). My own fault I guess, but really frustrating...
    front.JPG faceplate.JPG back.JPG back plate.JPG damage.JPG chassis.JPG guts.JPG front.JPG

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  2. Kelia

Kelia Well-Known Member

Wow ,....first time I see a 2204S ,.......not cool to see the damage though !

3. DrAndy

DrAndy New Member

Aye, the damage made me wince too. I'll drop it off at Bletchley when I have a day free. Marshall have kindly rebuilt a head cab for me before when it had a similar injury...

Sadly though, this isn't the first time you have seen a 2204S either. That's not what it is!

Mitchell Pearrow and Kelia like this.
  4. Gunner64

Gunner64 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Yea somethings not right there. Every 2204s that I have seen had a short chassis...and look at where the faceplate ends, looks to me like there used to be a longer faceplate on it at one time.

Imo It is a factory 800 2204, but it isn't a 2204s. What does the inspection tag say? Do the "s" models have specific serial numbers?

If that's the case, just changed faceplates, then I would say you have a case, as this would be a fraudulent amp, it isn't what it's listed as, plain and simple. It's a fake 2204s..of course I could be totally wrong too..:D

Mitchell Pearrow and Valvelust like this.
  5. Valvelust

Valvelust Well-Known Member

The real deal....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 16, 2020
  6. DrAndy

DrAndy New Member

Yeah, I did eventually track down a real one... but left wondering what to do with this long head 2204. Trying to fix her up and move her on.

Inspection tag is unreadable, the writing's sort of rubbed off at some point but you can see that there was some. At some point some twat painted it red, and then black again I think, so you can see some red paint rubbed off on the chassis. There's no evidence of another faceplate ever having been on there. The normal long JCM800 faceplate has the rocker switches all the way over to the left, and as you can see there are no holes punched out there.

Gunner64 and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  7. Valvelust

It is what it is....

When you advertise all you have to do is say that's what you bought and this is what it is and don't know the story.
    Yes sometime the Marshall factory does do some weird things so who really knows?
    No matter it's a 2204, the circuitry is all the same unless modded to some degree and that's most always the case with these anyway.

If it works properly, repair the cab as best you can do with wood glue and plastic glue or replace the corners.

Not sure where you are located, you can probably get somewhere in the range $1200-$1500 US for it??

Otherwise keep it and play the hell out of it!

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  8. Fender

Fender Active Member

have you submitted the S/N to bletchley ?

9. neikeel

neikeel Well-Known Member

The transformers are not stock in appearance either (never seen those end bell mounting through bolts and the PT is missing its bottom brackets).
    My suspicion is it is a rebuild using the original chassis and boards.

Gunner64 likes this.
  10. South Park

South Park Well-Known Member

With the prices of this vintage gear going up . You can take a bunch of parts put something together and pedal it as vintage.

11. Valvelust

Does that have two serial numbers?
    One stamped which indicates its a 1986. What's on that black/white sticker on the left back side?

12. Gunner64

Neils right. The transformers/ choke sure look like classictones, drake stickers though right? Not that they cant be reproduced, but one pic the choke has a sticker on the top of the bell facing the opt, and in another pic that sticker isn't there so idk what the explaination is for that.. 15819557546485989691839715291226.jpg 15819557882839151989141285236991.jpg ..

Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
  13. Gunner64

14. Gunner64

Looks like they covered up or removed the lettering on the transformers, but left the lettering on the choke. The choke doesn't say TRI-M-100D made in usa on it does it?..that's how my classictone choke is marked in my 2204 clone. Do they have a drake sticker on them?..

I agree and think this is an assembled amp as well. If I paid original status price I would be trying to get some money back one way or another, as it isn't worth what an all original amp is worth.

15. Fender

Fender Active Member

that looks way too good in terms of wiring quality to be a rebuild as a fake to gain money : the time put in this is more than the price he probably paid...
    if it is a rebuild, I doubt it had ill intent...

Kelia likes this.
  16. Fender

Fender Active Member

the chassis is kinda unique : the JCM800 2204 with horizontal inputs had inputs and switches further and the drillings and squares for switches look factory made...
    To me it looks like a factory custom (like the ones they do for NAMM) based on the standard jcm800 2204 (hence the sticker on the chassis) with custom holes on the long chassis and using the 2204S faceplate in order to fit it in a traditional plexi-like box. the S/N may confirm it in bletchley (or not)

17. Gunner64

The transformers are what I'm wondering about. Whats up with the sticker on top of the end bell on the choke in one pic, and on another the sticker appears to be gone.

18. DrAndy

DrAndy New Member

AH! Crap, sorry I should mention that the trannies were all changed... The 2204S that I subsequently DID find had these trannies in and I wanted THAT one returning to stock as much as possible so I used this unit as an organ donor. Good spot guys!

They work fine, but my tech was less than complementary regarding their quality.

The tech did check in with Marshall and the serial number checks out as a standard 2204 50 watt.

Thanks for all the input btw, really appreciated. It's all quite reassuring so far. I was wondering if anyone had encountered any such bastardised offspring of Milton Keynes before...

19. Fender

Fender Active Member

They couldn't tell if it had been made fo a special occasion ?

20. Matthews Guitars

Matthews Guitars Well-Known Member

Did you notice the typographical error on the back panel?

[​IMG]

PRODUCTS is missing the letter U.

I Google image searched for 2204S and I have found no long chassis versions of it. Very interesting and odd. If it's not an odd one-off prototype from the factory, then I'd wonder if someone went to great lengths to make something Marshall never made.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2020