1982 Cab help? - replacing input jack

Discussion in 'Cabinets & Speakers' started by nostalgia_martyr, Jan 22, 2020.

1. nostalgia_martyr

nostalgia_martyr New Member

Quick question (sorry if this has been answered in the forums before, I searched but couldn't find a thread).

I'm replacing a bad input jack on my 1982 cab. Been on there since at least 2005, when I got it (probably twice as long, from the looks of it). It has three solder lugs. Two of them are jumped together. The only one available at my local shop was a 2-lug. I was told in a previous thread that this current jack is NOT the original jack and that a 2-lug should be there instead.

I'm a novice when it comes to this stuff. Just seeking some advice on this. Attached are photos of the current (bad) jack and some photos of the new jack still in the packaging.

Just curious if this replacment is a good fit and if so, how should I go about wiring? Same was the old one, just without the jumper line connecting lugs 1 and 2?

P.S. Cab is wired in PARALLEL (4ohms), with Celestion G12-80s, 15ohm, cone stamp 444, T3103, if that matters to anyone. IMG_4740.JPG IMG_4744.JPG IMG_4748.JPG

Thanks!

2. South Park

South Park Well-Known Member

It is good asked the three prong jack is like a switch it completes a circuit when the plug is not plugged in . The two prong jack cuts the circuit when you unplug it . You need the two prong jack. Both will work you don’t want to go cheap on jacks the high end audio parts work better and last longer. Thar is a lot of cheap parts on the market

nostalgia_martyr likes this.
  3. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Well-Known Member Sponsor

4. nostalgia_martyr

Yeah, I don't plan on messing with any of the speaker connections. Just wanted to make sure that the top lug on the new jack and bottom lug on the new jack should be attached to the same wires as the old jack.

Side note: how come it's impossible to find a 4x12 wiring diagram for parallel? I know it's sort of redundant, seeing as how the only difference between a 2x12 and 4x12 is that you just send the wires to 3rd speaker and then the 4th (just like how you went from #1 to #2). Just curious.

5. Scumback Speakers

With four 16 ohm speakers in parallel, you get a 4 ohm total load. It's basically the 212 wiring diagram doubled. Not sure why no one posts it, maybe it's just understood, can't tell you for sure.

6. South Park

South Park Well-Known Member

It is also important you keep all the speakers in phase moving in the same direction .

7. nostalgia_martyr

Just for giggles, here's what we're working with. Jack to speaker 1, speaker 1 to speaker 2, speaker 2 to 3, etc.
    IMG_4749.JPG

8. Gene Ballzz

Gene Ballzz Well-Known Member

@nostalgia_martyr
    You should be good to go, as long as you can solder? I couldn't tell what brand the new jack is from the pic, but went to AllParts and found they only carry Switchcraft in that type! This is good, as most others of that style are absolute junk and not even worth the cost of shipping!
    Happy Solder Fume Sniffing! :naughty:
    Gene

9. nostalgia_martyr

Yeah, I can solder. Been changing pickups and working on guitars and pedals since I was a teenager. I've just never done much with speaker cabinets because I've never had the need, until now. ha. It's an ALLPARTS switchcraft jack, too. IMG_4748.JPG IMG_4747.JPG

10. GIBSON67

GIBSON67 Well-Known Member

Mmmmm...G12-80's are the good stuff!

11. GIBSON67

GIBSON67 Well-Known Member

Do you still want a 4 ohm load? Or convert to 16 ohms?

12. Scumback Speakers

The looks like a full parallel setup for 4 ohms from here. I always ran mine at 16 ohms, but whatever works for you. I did that so I could hook up four 4x12 cabs to my Super Lead head at once. Now that's sick. LOL

nostalgia_martyr and Valvelust like this.
  13. nostalgia_martyr

Yes, I want to keep it 4ohm. I've ran the same head through it since 2005. It's a cheap, unimpressive solid state Crate. But these speakers are so amazing that the clean signal sounds GREAT. So all my tone comes from pedals.

Head is 4ohm, 120 watts. If I wired the cab to be 16ohm, wouldn't that reduce my power output? Don't want that. Would be fine if I had a tube head, but 120 watts SS is pretty weak.

GIBSON67 likes this.
  14. Valvelust

Valvelust Active Member

It wouldn't reduce the power output of the amp, the speaker would have a higher resistance to the power produced by the amp therefore potentially causing damage to the amp due to improper impedance.

15. neikeel

neikeel Well-Known Member

Solid state head so typically you do see a reduction in power output as the load goes up. Most SS amps are relatively forgiving when it comes to load mismatch tho'.

16. nostalgia_martyr

I misspoke. Wouldn't reduce amp output. But would limit volume that can come out of the speakers if you had extra resistance. 4ohm amp with a 4ohm load is definitely safe though. Project done, by the way. New jack installed, joints soldered together, played through it last night and it sounds great! Thanks everyone.

Valvelust and Scumback Speakers like this.