1981 JMP Combo, More Pictures

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by jcm800gridlock, Dec 23, 2012.

1. jcm800gridlock

jcm800gridlock Well-Known Member

Bought this amp last Sunday and posted a few pictures from my I-phone in another thread, thought that I would add some better pictures from my camera.

Still hard to believe that this amp is 31+ years old.

Attached Files:

RussBert and BURSTBUCKERBLACK like this.
  2. LPMarshall hack

LPMarshall hack Well-Known Member

That is friggin awesome. I bet that thing sounds efffing sweeeet! Heavy as shit tho...

3. richieG

richieG New Member

Nice man.

I always wanted one of those as a grab and go amp.

I bet it sounds rad.

4. Wiking

Wiking Active Member

Happy nad, dude. Amp looks great. I happen to have a 81 version myself. Very nice sound.

5. plexilespaul

plexilespaul Well-Known Member

nice it looks so classic

6. Rozman62

Rozman62 Well-Known Member

Nice pickup. I was hunting for one of these for months. I gave up and bought an Orange.:eek:

7. jcm800gridlock

Thanks guys.

The amp really sounds great. I amp planning on taking it to my tech over the holidays just to make sure all is good (bias etc). All stock inside with Groove Tube 6550's in it. I have never heard anything good about Groove Tubes, should I swap the tubes out with a better brand? Any Suggestions? Still sounds good but since it will be with the tech now is the time to swap.

I played the JMP yesterday with both my Les Paul and Tele, and I can get Led Zeppelin/AC DC tones all day long without even trying. You definitely don't need an OD pedal with this amp. Even with the Tele which is now my favorite guitar. Plenty of OD and good cleans backing off the preamp.

A month ago I sold a 1983 JCM 800 (4104 50w) combo and the sounds are similar but still different. With the 800 I was at band volumes with the master set to 2, this amp the master needs to set be to 3 to be there.

I believe that am the third owner of this JMP, the second owner was a bass player who tried guitar shortly and then kept the amp in his closet for years. The amp is super quite, with no hums or scratchy pots, and even the On/Off and Standby switches still feel new with a click when you toggle them.

So far a great find at a great price.

Thanks for the kind words.
    Doug

Last edited: Dec 23, 2012
    BURSTBUCKERBLACK likes this.
  8. Darth Federer

Darth Federer New Member

That thing's awesome looking. I haven't seen a whole lot of top loaded Marshall's. Bet it sounds great. Enjoy.

9. flyinguitars

flyinguitars Well-Known Member

Wow...that's a beauty! Enjoy!

10. eastwood6

eastwood6 Active Member

To the guy who said that's a good grab and go amp - dude, you've never tried to grab and go anywhere fast with one of these bad boys! It weighs like 85 pounds with a single tiny little vinyl handle on the top. You can really hurt yourself if not careful!

I owned a '81 2104 until recently, and had a '78 bought new back in the day. Beautiful, old school construction and sound, but ultimately I couldn't deal with the beastly weight and the open-back combo tone - Marshall crunch sounds best to me with the thump from a closed back cab. But that's just me. I still have a warm spot for those combos. Good luck and enjoy.

11. jcm800gridlock

My first Marshall was a brand new 1977 JMP 100 watt Master Volume Head and Half stack back when I was in my early 20’s and I still want another 50 watt JMP Head from the late 70’s. I actually purchased a 1977 JMP 50 watt Head from Guitar Center Vintage at the same time as I bought the combo. The head was in nice shape but it turned out to be an early (Feb) 1977 model and it did not have the cascading gain revision that was new to the 50 watt JMP amps and was supposedly incorporated in Feb, 1977. Not the case here.

I returned the Head back to Guitar Center within the 3 day return period because it had virtually no gain until the master was up to 5 (too loud for me) even with the preamp maxed to 10.

I am still in the market for a late 1977-79 50 watt JMP MK2 Master when I find an original one still with 6550's at a fair price. Guess I am going back to my roots.

Actually the combo is not that bad to move yet and my back is still pretty good shape. The JMP combo seems much lighter than my 1966 Blackface Fender Twin Reverb and also lighter than my 1983 JCM 800 4104 combo and I can move the combo around the house on a furniture dolly when I am feeling lazy.

12. SkinnyJ

SkinnyJ New Member

That's a cool amp. I would love to get my hands on a pre-800 50 watter. I have a '84 800 4104. "Grab-n-go", these combos certainly aren't. My shoulder joint can testify to that.

13. eastwood6

eastwood6 Active Member

14. jcm800gridlock

Thanks for the info, your amp is also in very similar mint condition like mine.

I am glad to see that the JMP combos are maintaining value. There is currently a 1979 combo at GC vintage for $1400 that had been modded (holes etc).

I was lucky enough to find mine somewhat locally off of Craigslist at a price so right that I didn't even have to negotiate.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!

15. StratoMarshall

StratoMarshall Well-Known Member

Very nice amp!

16. Marshall Guru

Marshall Guru Member

That is a schweet amp! Enjoy!

17. jcm800gridlock

Taking the JMP to my tech today to have it looked over. No worries.

I really like the looks of the JMP combos and they apprear to be fairly rare.

I do wish that it had the checkerd grill cloth like the 70's models, but a keeper for sure.

Thanks

Last edited: Dec 26, 2012
  18. Rozman62

Rozman62 Well-Known Member

Yes...rare enough for me to not secure one through a daily CL search in 3 states for 3 months straight. I actually did find one and the seller was willing to drive 90 miles to my house to drop it off for $1000. I went away that weekend...my loss. He sold it to someone in Calif for $1600 later that day.

19. jcm800gridlock

Hang in there, they are out there.

Wow, $1600.00, is a lot more than I paid for this one.

20. Tim Semeryuk

Tim Semeryuk New Member

hey dude this just came up. i was searshing for a powerbrake and this thing popped up. 77" 2x12

Marshall JMP 50w 2x12" Combo Amp - Vintage 1977

jcm800gridlock likes this.