1969/70 Marshall Plexi Super Tremolo 100 Watt Amp - Misfits

Discussion in 'Let's Talk Vintage' started by plan9, Mar 4, 2012.

1. plan9

plan9 New Member

I currently own what I believe to be a 1969/70 Marshall Plexi Super Tremolo 100 Watt Amp (Serial # ST/A 10096) which belonged to former Misfits guitarist Bobby Steele, and used at some Misfits live dates and recording sessions. I purchased Bobby’s entire collection including all his guitars, amps, memorabilia, etc. He mentioned that Marshall amp was modified at Dennis Electronics to use 7027 output tubes, and remodified at Tubesville to move the master volume to the front in 1990. I’m currently trying to sell this amp, and my question to forum members is - based on the history and former owner, would you this add any additional value if you were not a Misfits fan?

Any thoughts on value as modified?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. thelorddread

thelorddread Member

it definitely wouldnt hurt. i think it would be worth more to somebody.

edit* read the post wrong. do i think it would be worth more to a non misfits fan with the mods?

no. i think an unmodded one would be worth more...but you might can find a misfits fan
    who would appreciate this way more. i know i do, but i dont have that kind of jack to afford
    what i think would be an appropriate price for it.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2012
  3. tone seaker

tone seaker Well-Known Member

Where the Rock Rolls Hard and the Blues Rains Down
    I think the moddes hurt it a lot. No telling what is done on the inside. I personally don't know who the misfits are. But any famous tying you would need documentation for any hope of value increases.

4. LMP2204

LMP2204 Active Member

The serial number and plexi panel make me feel like its a 1968, my uncle had a super trem with a 104xx serial and it was definatly a 68, yours could be late 67 early 68. Please post gut shots of the board!

5. janarn

janarn Well-Known Member

Too few filtercans to be a '69?

6. chuckelator

chuckelator Well-Known Member

Hmm....How much would you want for this? I think it's awesome, and on top of that, I am a Misfits fan, the mods interest me. Question though, is it like a V4 in that you can throw 6l6's in it in place of the 7027s no problem??

7. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Active Member

:slash:

You seriously need to work on your negotiating skills.

Maggot Brain and thelorddread like this.
  8. thelorddread

thelorddread Member

haha, yeah he mightve showed his hand a little early.

9. V-man

V-man Well-Known Member

BANISH HIM!!!!!!!

For me I would consider the Misifits attachment (if it all can be verified) to negate the mod. So if the unmolested head was worth X, then the modified fan would be worth X-Y to a non-fan, but to a fan, it would be worth X -Y (for the mods) +Y for the Misfits connection, for a total of X.

This is all ball park of course. If the mod was a butcher job then even a fan may not pay what an unmolested head would cost. OTOH, if it was an amazing mod, it is possible it could go for somewhat more than an unmolested price.

10. yladrd61

yladrd61 Well-Known Member

Careful 7027 have a different pinout :cool: Yeah my 1970 Super Lead had 7027A when I got it, it was loud as hell and lots of headroom. I had it rewired back to EL34's :dude: