1960AV Retolex - how to tackle Marshall's water based glue?

Discussion in 'Cabinets & Speakers' started by SG-Rocker, Jan 19, 2020.

1. SG-Rocker

SG-Rocker New Member

I recently picked up a battle worn 2005 1960AV cab for a a steal of a deal.
    The tolex and grill cloth are beat, the caster wheels are shot, two caster adapters are stripped and it's missing a handle (I'll upgrade to metal ones).

I've disassembled the cab and removed the tolex and am now faced with removing the gooey water-based adhesive Marshall uses. Is there a solvent of anything that people use to remove this black goo or is it strictly a sanding affair ?

2. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Well-Known Member Sponsor

I used something from Home Depot called Klean Strip when I used to recover cabs years ago. You brush it on, let it sit and get gooey, then I took a plastic paint scraper to the wood. Metal ones can gouge the plywood unless you're careful. After that it's time for the belt sander. I used 50 grit, followed up by 120 or 150 grit.

If you email me I can get you all the details on removable caster cups/sockets, metal handles, and screws needed. Just email me: sales@scumbackspeakers.com and I'll fill you in.

3. SG-Rocker

SG-Rocker New Member

Just got the notification of your reply.
    I attacked the goo with some paint stripper I had left over from a previous job and it worked great, removing about 95% of the problem. I need a bit more to hit up the rear panel flange where to goo is thickest.

I will drop you a line about the hardware.

4. Matthews Guitars

Matthews Guitars Well-Known Member

I found that chemical strippers just weren't doing a satisfactory job. So I used my random orbital sander and a box of 50 220 grit velcro backed sanding discs. No, it didn't take all 50 sanding discs. It averaged about one disc per panel being sanded clear of glue.

It really didn't take very long, just a few minutes per panel, and was less messy than dealing with chemical strippers.

5. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Well-Known Member Sponsor

It depends on the glue you're removing. The 60/70's glue was different than the black glue they used after the JCM 900 cabs. I did one of those, once! Never again would I strip a JCM 900 or later cab with that black glue. It penetrated the particle board back so deep that it couldn't be removed fully, requiring a new plywood back panel to be cut to replace it.