18w Tmb Build...almost Wrapped Up!

Discussion in 'Building the Classics' started by myersbw, Apr 17, 2018.

1. myersbw

myersbw Well-Known Member

I've been into this 18w TMB build for a couple years. Finally satisfied with the head & speaker cabs...amp is finally wired!! Time to test and plug in!

The knobs were custom spec'd down to matching the color I wanted by photo submission. Below, you'll see what they look like under a very weak blacklight bulb (incandescent style)...they're really brilliant under a good lamp...more photos to come.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
    liontato, pedecamp, v846 and 5 others like this.
  2. anitoli

anitoli Well-Known Member

Nice looking amp and cabs. You have to post a sound clip you know. It is mandatory.

myersbw likes this.
  3. myersbw

Thanks!

It'll happen... :) After on/off with this (lots of decisions) over two years, I'm just glad the end is in sight. Likely a clip within 2 weeks. But, I've built this circuit before...it's all I'll ever need.

4. el_bastardo

el_bastardo Well-Known Member

Very cool.

Is that a kit? Or did you just scrounge up everything yourself?

5. jensvonbustenskjol

jensvonbustenskjol Active Member

Nice build! I like your personal touch, and not some sort of reproduction.
    I bet it sounds sweet!

6. johan.b

johan.b Well-Known Member

Cool. Very "fender-looking" layout..board construction, heater wiring and cloth covered cables...i bet it is really quiet when it comes to hum and hiss..?..
    J

7. tschrama

tschrama Well-Known Member

very good looking! Clips clips clips! :D

8. myersbw

Kit? Yep...with some very minor mods to it (just a couple values). It's the Mojotone 18 watt TMB kit. Steve Snyder did a really nice job on this no frills, straight tone, build. It's using 3 stages for the gain channel. The reason being, his response to me, was that any more was just bringing in a more compressive state.

I'll have to agree. After building the first one for a Nashville pro and spending some play time with it...the clean channel is just in your face chimy and lush...only one stage needed to drive those EL84's. And, it will take you to that break up edge of a little dirt for the ultimate roll back the guitar volume experience.

The gain channel will push a major crunch when pushed...ala ACDC style. Very nice rockin' tone. Add pedal for metal.

Quiet? In all respects, yes. Limiting to 3 gain stages before the PI really reduces hiss when pushed. The key was getting the most out of little.

So, this really entails just ordering the base kit (everything but cab & speaker...just makes it so simple that way...their faceplates are nice). Oh, and as far as I know, they use Heyboer transformers in these kits. I have a couple spare 18w OT's from my previous project and dropped one in a client's Peavey Classic 20 after he burnt the original. Amazing little OT.

I did some design work for a local amp manufacturer and, in exchange, he built the hardwood cabs for me to my spec (which was basically the dimensions of a Marshall extra small box that will host the 18 watt chassis they use).

Head cab - spalted maple with a walnut stripe. The faceplate and backplate are cherry...all with 3 coats of danish oil...let cure for a month (it does age and darken a bit)...then a coat of Minwax wax to top it off.

Speaker cab - just spalted maple. It'll get treated with Mojo's tan&black grille cloth and and three similar cherry backplates like the head to give it a quasi-open-back.

I also have still-to-mount a custom leather bone handle that Bob of Brookwood Leather made. He'll detail to your spec and the price can't be beat for the work he does. (He's made the handle's for a Lil Walter amp Vince Gill uses.) Here's his link...
    http://brookwoodleather.com

For the custom knobs, xentricguitars.com ...Justin even hand painted the recessed purple dot marker in these knobs. I could not be happier.

Yeah, I'll certainly get some clips up within a few weeks.

Thanks for the nice comments! :)

Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
    pedecamp likes this.
  9. Gunner64

Gunner64 Well-Known Member

20180406_101025.jpg 1524072840396311358237.jpg Nice..Heyboers eh? I used them in my tmb build as well..nice box and knobs.very cool. I didn't get that picky, just standard Marshall look. I Sourced parts from mojo and triode electronics. Mine started life as a tremolo version and it still has the tremolo faceplate yet..after being built for 2 years ..lol.

myersbw likes this.
  10. Ghostman

Ghostman Well-Known Member

What is the 1/4" jack in the middle of the head with the knob above it?

11. Gunner64

The input for the tmb channel.

myersbw likes this.
  12. myersbw

Gain channel, Ghostman...with it's Master above it.

13. Ghostman

So there's three inputs?

14. myersbw

15. Gunner64

That's cool too. I always wanted to do a combo cab for mine but hate the top mounted chassis. I like the controls out front. Nice work.

16. myersbw

Ok...this is the first build and only the gain channel. And...it's recorded only with the iphone mic...speaker is a Cannabis Rex in this open-back style combo.

Keep in mind the owner was just picking it up quick and used a very cheap ($200 or so) 7 string (Schecter SGR) he was bringing me as a finished-it-early bonus (and as a test guitar in the shop!)

Once I get mine completely together, I'll mic up and record a review of clean and gain on this current build. Until then, here's the teaser!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xm8zg3czb838plq/RocketeerMatt.m4a?dl=0

Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
  17. Ghostman

The two inputs next to each other, labeled "Input", are they voiced different?

18. myersbw

No except for the slight impedance change of 68K to 34K on the input resistor, depending on which jack you choose.

19. Ghostman

I'm assuming the differences in the input impedances will change the tone of the signal yes?

20. myersbw

A little...depends on the pickups, too.