«New» vintage Hiwatt Custom 100 «Jimmy Page» build

Discussion in 'Building the Classics' started by shakti, Feb 9, 2020.

1. shakti

shakti Active Member

Hi Neil, that would be terrific! I really just need enough to fill in that gap between the two boards. In a perfect world I would have an entire board spanning the whole length, but I also like the idea of using as much of the original amps as possible.

2. shakti

shakti Active Member

Tragichero, many thanks for your offer though! I appreciate it.

I am still looking for 25k Plessey pots. I got a reply from the Ebay seller but he’s unable to sell any at the moment. There is a single one on Ebay, but I need another for the other amp. Also, the original Page amp used a 25 (22) k presence pot as seen in the photos. I’ve seen a mid 69 DR201 with a 22k presence pot, but typically Hiwatts had a 100k presence pot. Many different variations around though.

3. pleximaster

pleximaster Well-Known Member

I am trying to organise my parts (that came out strange ) but I find any 25ks they are yours for free my friend!

plexi

Sustainium, BanditPanda and shakti like this.
  4. shakti

shakti Active Member

C9B65938-9554-47B8-977B-49B5F2347D3A.jpeg Cheers to that! My parts bin is your parts bin...or something like that. ;-)

A little progress tonight. Not much left now. I’ll probably toss in a different 25k just to get it up and running, but need to decide how to fix the «hole» in the preamp board. The missing turret is a junction in the ground buss running underneath the board (the two thin black wires you see poking out from each end will be joined at that turret. At the other side it is a connection node for a small filter cap. I suppose I could just solder the filter cap + end to the turret right next to it and have it suspended in the air, and also have the two ground wires soldered together and suspended in the air, but it will feel a bit too wobbly for comfort, so I think I want to add some turret board material and turrets, and epoxy it between the existing boards to get it nice and solid.

ripple, CoyotesGator and Dogs of Doom like this.
  5. BanditPanda

BanditPanda Well-Known Member

shakti likes this.
  6. MickeyJ

MickeyJ Well-Known Member

Hacking up a slave unit to make something like this is not desecration, it's called upgrading.
    This is gonna be a hell of an amp.
    -Respect.

BanditPanda and shakti like this.
  7. shakti

shakti Active Member

I realized I forgot to put in a 100k resistor on the layout drawing. I'll explain later when I get to the two different types of phase inverter. I think I'll start with type 1 (i.e. standard Hiwatt 60s/70s) phase inverter and then try type 2.

8. neikeel

neikeel Well-Known Member

Looking really good, what wire are you using?

9. shakti

shakti Active Member

It’s solid core wire that I got in a trade, I think it’s various pieces of vintage solid core. I haven’t found any modern equivalent of the right thickness, it’s usually too skinny.

neikeel likes this.
  10. shakti

shakti Active Member

Amp is alive!! Photos are coming, and sound clips (eventually). I had to do put in some makeshift solutions for the time being, basically hovering the filter cap in the middle of the preamp board in the air above the board, but until I can get some board material in there it’ll have to make do for the moment. Also I only had a 16uF which is too high, should be between 3-8uF. Furthermore, I used a 2k2 cathode resistor for V3. That is stock value for a DR103, and might have been the original value in Page’s amp, but in the photos it has a 1k5 with a 47n(?) bypass cap. I’ll be trying out different values in the phase inverter with alligator clips, and also try the two different phase inverter types.
    I also wired it up without a presence control, and I don’t have a switch for the balance control yet, so it’s always at full (no gain cut/balance control inactive).

Lastly, I don’t have an appropriate choke yet, so I am using the regular DR103 100 ohm resistor instead. A choke will dirty it up a little bit.

All that out of the way - it sounded absolutely great even with just a set of test tubes (Sovteks and some Chinese stuff). Fat, fast, clear and ballsy. DR103 on steroids.

MickeyJ, pleximaster and GIBSON67 like this.
  11. neikeel

Excellent. Makes me want you o bring mine forwards in the project list.
    What caps are you after? Cans or axials. I have a bundle of 8uFs

12. shakti

shakti Active Member

Thanks for the offer Neil. It needs an axial 8uF 350-450V. I have a bid on a pair on Ebay at the moment.

13. neikeel

Cool I have a box of Grey RS ones you can have a pair free for good home

14. shakti

shakti Active Member

That sounds perfect! I’ll see how the Ebay auction pans out first since I have already bid. I’m a little busy the next days/weeks so not sure when I can get a soundclip together, but will try. Need to get #2 together as well, and then the tweaking to get them just right.

I also need to get an appropriate choke. I’m not sure about the specs of these Partridge chokes. The ones in the DR201 are supposed to be 4H, so I’ll probably be aiming at something like that...4H, 100 DCR, around 100mA? Do you think Majestic could make something that looks close to a Patridge, including heavy varnishing?

15. neikeel

Dual 8 500v cans, dual 8 450v axials, single 8 500v axials, all RS NOS from original boxes. Of course will need reforming so no guarantees!
    Majestic made me a choke for my Matamp 2000 clone like that. Their heavy varnish is quite red (like the really early Partridge vs the 70s brownish sort).

16. shakti

shakti Active Member

37E5AE36-4B55-4B8A-A10E-7436EFC095D0.jpeg 492D9EB6-61AD-44DD-A485-8517A6E8190F.jpeg
    Cool! I’ll let you know in a couple of days. Here it is in all its glory, complete with early metal badge logo. Sitting in top of a ‘69 1982B. It has been regrilled, so I am toying with the thought of having the Zoso logo stenciled on. Or is that taking the fanboy approach a little too far? I love Led Zeppelin, but it’s not like the be all and end all for me.

ripple and Rotorcraft230 like this.
  17. shakti

shakti Active Member

6A1237D6-E59D-4F2E-9D7A-14EFCFB521AE.jpeg BBD413FB-8839-4D30-B1C9-5F5D6E3A25E7.jpeg I’m probably an even bigger The Who fan, so in honour of the recent 50th anniversary of the greatest live album of all time (possibly even the single greatest rock concert of all time), here’s the result of my other conversion job. Sitting on top of a ‘71 SE4122.

ripple, BanditPanda and Rotorcraft230 like this.
  18. shakti

shakti Active Member

19. Rotorcraft230

Rotorcraft230 Active Member Premium Member

Very nice looking amps. Good job

shakti likes this.
  20. CROWEMAG

CROWEMAG Active Member

I now have a goal. To build an amp that looks that damn perfect. Also......I need sounds!

shakti likes this.