MarshallForum.com

Go Back   MarshallForum.com > The Amps > Other Amps
LIKE MarshallForum on Facebook FOLLOW MarshallForum on Twitter

Old 06-13-2013, 12:59 PM   #1
marshallmellowed

Splawn Quick Rod to Marshall Comparison(s)

I will be doing some upcoming comparisons between my 2009 Splawn Quick Rod and my 2012 Marshall YJM100, and figured I'd post my findings here for anyone interested in the Quick Rod and how the two amps compare (tonally). Although these amps seem much different, as the QR is a two channel amp and the YJM a single (with a boost), they can be dialed to cover very similar tones. To start off, last night I was playing both amps at very low volume and I was getting equally good results with both amps with the YJM EPA very low and the QR loop engaged, and loop level turned down. I will say, if you had an earlier QR (no loop), you would be unable to get a comparable tone to the YJM at these low levels (the loop level is the key). Down the road, I may also post some comparisons between the QR and my Marshall JVM410H if there's any interest. That's all for now.
Marshall JVM HJS (Modded)
Marshall 6100 LM (Modded)
Marshall JCM900 SL-X (50w)
Marshall 2555x
Marshall JMD:1 (50w)
Marshall JMD:1 (100w)
Splawn Quick Rod

Cabs:
4x12 1960A Cabs (Hellatone 60L's)
4x12 1960TV

Guitars:
Gibson SG 61 RI
Gibson LP Traditional
ESP EC-400AT
ESP Relic'd Strat FR
Schecter C1 FR Standard

Other Gear:
Axe Fx II
Carvin DCM1540L
marshallmellowed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 03:51 PM   #2
Blcws6

Re: Splawn Quick Rod to Marshall Comparison(s)

Yes! I look forward to that
Blcws6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 09:13 PM   #3
solarburnDSL50

Yeah I look forward to the QR & Plexi.
1990 Infinium
1960 Infinium

Hit the front end man. Your amp sauce is weak.

Thor's Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin_Lisa View Post

Where the hell is dirty ole Joe at?
Its "Boo-tique" fellas cause that price scares the tone out of my fingers...
solarburnDSL50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 09:45 PM   #4
John 14:6

If the YJM100 did not exist and if I had not fallen in love with the thing once I got it, I would probably have bought another Splawn Quickrod. Splawn makes GREAT amps. I know that the YJM100 sounds pretty good at low volumes with EPA, but it really needs to be turned up some to sound its best. The Quickrod sounds decent with something lowering the volume in the loop, but the amp sounds so much better un-attenuated. I would love to hear some head to head clips though I believe doing them at low volume is kind of like testing which dragster handles better in your living room. Some clips of the amps cranked up a bit will help to show off what they were truly designed to do. I had a friend who recorded all of of his guitar parts for his record using a Marshall TSL100. I brought my old Splawn over to his studio and he just flipped. I let him borrow it for a few days and he re-recorded all of his guitar tracks. He did not sleep much for a few days.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVaUdKQsq-s

http://www.creationworldview.org/aboutus.asp

http://www.answersingenesis.org/

http://www.genesispark.org/

Last edited by John 14:6; 06-14-2013 at 01:27 AM.
John 14:6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 01:10 AM   #5

Still looking forward to hearing some clips.

Old 06-20-2013, 10:47 AM   #6
Darth Federer

My Splawn Super Sport which is very similar to the Quickrod can be dialed in almost identical to my 1-watters. It really is amazing how well the loop volume control works. I can get a similarly great tone out of the Splawn as I can with the 1-watters on .1 watt mode. That is an impressive feat because I think the 1-watters sound great in their low power mode. Look forward to your comparison clips.
Darth Federer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 01:26 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Federer View Post
My Splawn Super Sport which is very similar to the Quickrod can be dialed in almost identical to my 1-watters. It really is amazing how well the loop volume control works. I can get a similarly great tone out of the Splawn as I can with the 1-watters on .1 watt mode. That is an impressive feat because I think the 1-watters sound great in their low power mode. Look forward to your comparison clips.
While the Splawn Super Sport is their lowest wattage amp and does sound good at low volume, it will sound incredible when turned up some. Of course a Splawn barely cracked on will still blow away a bedroom amp like a Line 6 or others like it when it comes to tone, but Scott Splawn designed those amps more for small gigs. The true sound Scott was aiming for can only be heard when the amp starts to breath a little and interface properly with all of its physical properties. Scott only added the loop volume to his amps starting at the end of 2008. Many Splawn owners were using volume pedals or other devices in the loop to help tame the beastly amount of volume coming out of one of their 50 or 100 watt amps even when they are barely cracked on. Spalwns get LOUD really quick. With the master only on a quarter volume your neighbors halfway down the block will probably be knocking on your door.

So many guys who were primarily bedroom players were buying Splawns and then complaining about how loud they were. Scott listened to those folks and added the loop volume to help those guys out. He also started making combo amps because some guys kept hounding him for one. The Streetrod was a long awaited dream amp for some Splawn Forum guys. The best way to hear a 5, 20, 40, 50, 100 or even higher wattage tube amp is LOUD, if you want to hear what the amp builder/designer was going for when he built the thing.

Old 06-22-2013, 12:13 AM   #8
marshallmellowed

Sorry guys, I have not had time to record any clips yet. The wife has been home every day recovering from a minor surgery, and I've had very little time to play, much less set up a mic and record clips. I'll get to it eventually. I will say that after playing the amps back and forth (both loud and at low volumes), there's really no big advantage of one over the other to my ears, but they do react differently. The biggest difference to my ears, so far, is in the mid to higher gain tones. The QR seems to do a better job in that area, at least for the gainier tones I like (early VH, 80's metal). I think the YJM has a slightly better low gain crunch tone (more "Marshally"). Both amps sing at higher volumes, I've got a Decimator noise gate and a TC Hall of Fame reverb in the loop of the QR so I can get comparable tones from both amps. Both great amps, I plan on doing some short audio clips of...

ACDC
Black Sabbath
Early VH
80's Metal (along the lines of Dokken,Tesla...)
Marshall 2555x
Splawn Quick Rod

Cabs:
4x12 1960TV

Guitars:
Gibson SG 61 RI
Gibson LP Traditional
ESP EC-400AT
ESP Relic'd Strat FR
Schecter C1 FR Standard

Other Gear:
Axe Fx II
Carvin DCM1540L
Old 06-28-2013, 12:12 PM   #9
aw9190

I look forward to maybe hearing some clips. I have a QR (which I love), and have been toying with the idea of trading it for a YJM
aw9190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 04:01 PM   #10
marshallmellowed

Quote:
Originally Posted by aw9190 View Post
I look forward to maybe hearing some clips. I have a QR (which I love), and have been toying with the idea of trading it for a YJM
What kind of music do you play most? If you play a lot of music which requires a little more gain (ie. late 70's rock, 80's rock), the QR is more suited for that. The YJM, is a bit spongier and smoother than the QR, and does the low to mid gain Marshall tones well (late 60's early 70's rock), but to be honest the QR can do that pretty well too. They're so close, I'm thinking of letting readers guess which clip is which (when I post them). To sum it up, in the low to medium gain department, they are very close. When you start getting into more aggressive stuff, the QR has no problem, the YJM could benefit from a better boost than the built-in boost (IMO).
Marshall 2555x
Splawn Quick Rod

Cabs:
4x12 1960TV

Guitars:
Gibson SG 61 RI
Gibson LP Traditional
ESP EC-400AT
ESP Relic'd Strat FR
Schecter C1 FR Standard

Other Gear:
Axe Fx II
Carvin DCM1540L
Old 06-28-2013, 04:36 PM   #11
aw9190

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshallmellowed View Post
What kind of music do you play most? If you play a lot of music which requires a little more gain (ie. late 70's rock, 80's rock), the QR is more suited for that. The YJM, is a bit spongier and smoother than the QR, and does the low to mid gain Marshall tones well (late 60's early 70's rock), but to be honest the QR can do that pretty well too. They're so close, I'm thinking of letting readers guess which clip is which (when I post them). To sum it up, in the low to medium gain department, they are very close. When you start getting into more aggressive stuff, the QR has no problem, the YJM could benefit from a better boost than the built-in boost (IMO).

I play 80s metal, but really im using the QR on gear 1 only and than slamming it with a tube screamer. the other gears have so much bass! it is crazy how thunderous it gets from gear 1 to 2. I have always liked plexi's in general and the yjm seems to be a perfect amp. Classic tone with modern appointments. I would probably use an OD9 instead of the on board boost. It would be cool to guess which is which.

Im not saying i hate the quick rod i love it actually, but i would like to check out the yjm and really spend some time with one you know?
Old 06-28-2013, 11:11 PM   #12
marshallmellowed

Quote:
I play 80s metal, but really im using the QR on gear 1 only and than slamming it with a tube screamer. the other gears have so much bass! it is crazy how thunderous it gets from gear 1 to 2. I have always liked plexi's in general and the yjm seems to be a perfect amp. Classic tone with modern appointments. I would probably use an OD9 instead of the on board boost. It would be cool to guess which is which.

Im not saying i hate the quick rod i love it actually, but i would like to check out the yjm and really spend some time with one you know?
Oh yes, I know, I'm on my 3rd YJM. The YJM gets a lot of praise, and rightfully so, it's one of the best amps Marshall has produced. I will probably keep my current YJM due to this fact, and because they are just becoming few and far between. Neither the QR nor the YJM are perfect (IMO, the "perfect amp" does not exist), but both of these amps are awesome in their own way. I'm a bit surprised to hear you're using a TS in front of the QR, and curious how it benefits you. Hope you can get your hands on a YJM, but if not, take comfort in knowing your QR is equally as awesome. Enough of my ramblings.
Marshall 2555x
Splawn Quick Rod

Cabs:
4x12 1960TV

Guitars:
Gibson SG 61 RI
Gibson LP Traditional
ESP EC-400AT
ESP Relic'd Strat FR
Schecter C1 FR Standard

Other Gear:
Axe Fx II
Carvin DCM1540L

Last edited by marshallmellowed; 06-28-2013 at 11:59 PM.
Old 06-29-2013, 10:03 AM   #13
aw9190

Quote:
Oh yes, I know, I'm on my 3rd YJM. The YJM gets a lot of praise, and rightfully so, it's one of the best amps Marshall has produced. I will probably keep my current YJM due to this fact, and because they are just becoming few and far between. Neither the QR nor the YJM are perfect (IMO, the "perfect amp" does not exist), but both of these amps are awesome in their own way. I'm a bit surprised to hear you're using a TS in front of the QR, and curious how it benefits you. Hope you can get your hands on a YJM, but if not, take comfort in knowing your QR is equally as awesome. Enough of my ramblings.
I boost virtually every amp i play, it just sounds and feels better to me. The QR is VERY dry im sure you are well aware. the TS just adds a little sauce out front which i like very much. I am only using OD1/2 with gear 1 and than hitting it out front. very nice combination.
Old 06-29-2013, 12:24 PM   #14
marshallmellowed

Quote:
I boost virtually every amp i play, it just sounds and feels better to me. The QR is VERY dry im sure you are well aware. the TS just adds a little sauce out front which i like very much. I am only using OD1/2 with gear 1 and than hitting it out front. very nice combination.
If it works, that's all that matters. To me, any amp without reverb sounds very dry when played alone. I use a TC Hall of Fame in the loop to add a touch of reverb, which makes a world of difference. Awesome pedal for about $100.
Marshall 2555x
Splawn Quick Rod

Cabs:
4x12 1960TV

Guitars:
Gibson SG 61 RI
Gibson LP Traditional
ESP EC-400AT
ESP Relic'd Strat FR
Schecter C1 FR Standard

Other Gear:
Axe Fx II
Carvin DCM1540L
Old 06-30-2013, 03:13 PM   #15
marshallmellowed

Re: Splawn Quick Rod to Marshall Comparison (Clips Added)

1st two clips, I tried to set the amps up as close as possible. Same cab was used, mic placement was not disturbed between clips. High treble input (no jump) on the YJM, 1st Gear OD1 on the QR. Amps had these settings...

50 watt mode,

YJM EPA - 11:00
QR Master - 1:00 (set to match level of YJM)
Presence - 12:00
Middle - 12:00
Bass - 0-12:00
Gain - 12:00-3:00 (varied per amp)

The Bass and Gain levels had to be set differently, due to the fact that the amps are quite different in these areas. In these clips, both amps were setup to use only the tube sections (no YJM boost).

Black by AmpGuy on SoundCloud - Hear the world

Black by AmpGuy on SoundCloud - Hear the world
Marshall 2555x
Splawn Quick Rod

Cabs:
4x12 1960TV

Guitars:
Gibson SG 61 RI
Gibson LP Traditional
ESP EC-400AT
ESP Relic'd Strat FR
Schecter C1 FR Standard

Other Gear:
Axe Fx II
Carvin DCM1540L

Last edited by marshallmellowed; 06-30-2013 at 07:03 PM.
Old 06-30-2013, 07:06 PM   #16
Blcws6

first clip is the Quick Rod yes? Second, the YJM?

both sound freaking great.....Its a win win!! Haha
Old 06-30-2013, 11:41 PM   #17
marshallmellowed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blcws6 View Post

Good ear

I could actually dial them in to sound nearly identical by bringing the mids down on the QR, but you can hear the differences with the tone controls set the same (except for the Bass). I had the QR Bass on zero and the YJM Bass at 12:00, the QR still seemed to have more low end in the recording.
Marshall 2555x
Splawn Quick Rod

Cabs:
4x12 1960TV

Guitars:
Gibson SG 61 RI
Gibson LP Traditional
ESP EC-400AT
ESP Relic'd Strat FR
Schecter C1 FR Standard

Other Gear:
Axe Fx II
Carvin DCM1540L
Old 07-01-2013, 12:38 PM   #18
aw9190

Quote:

I prevented myself from scrolling any further because i wanted to see if i could pick out the difference. that was my initial guess too. Both sound ****ing killer. I want both!!!
Old 07-01-2013, 05:03 PM   #19
Blcws6

Hahaha, Its hard to not notice the mid growl thing the Splawns have going on. I myself play a Street Rod so, I know that sound when I hear it. They both sound VERY similar but I can definately hear some small differences between the two and to be quite honest....the Marshall sounded just like a Marshall should, classic Marshall. The Quick Rod was close but with just a tiny different flavor to it. The Marshall seemed to be just a bit more open or loose.

What do you guys think?
Old 07-01-2013, 07:54 PM   #20
marshallmellowed

Quote:
Hahaha, Its hard to not notice the mid growl thing the Splawns have going on. I myself play a Street Rod so, I know that sound when I hear it. They both sound VERY similar but I can definately hear some small differences between the two and to be quite honest....the Marshall sounded just like a Marshall should, classic Marshall. The Quick Rod was close but with just a tiny different flavor to it. The Marshall seemed to be just a bit more open or loose.

What do you guys think?
I think you nailed it, the QR is very mid focused and has a signature snarl to it. The YJM is, just as you said "more open or loose". They each have their strong points, depending on what you're after.
Marshall 2555x
Splawn Quick Rod

Cabs:
4x12 1960TV

Guitars:
Gibson SG 61 RI
Gibson LP Traditional
ESP EC-400AT
ESP Relic'd Strat FR
Schecter C1 FR Standard

Other Gear:
Axe Fx II
Carvin DCM1540L
Old 07-01-2013, 08:13 PM   #21
rmlevasseur

I was amazed at the similar dynamics of both distortion. With a touch of eq and volume equalization i am not sure i could detect a difference. Nice comparison!
rmlevasseur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 08:43 PM   #22
marshallmellowed

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmlevasseur View Post
I was amazed at the similar dynamics of both distortion. With a touch of eq and volume equalization i am not sure i could detect a difference. Nice comparison!
Thanks, more clips to come. I'll try and do a clip that shows how well each amp cleans up using light/heavy picking and varying the guitar volume.
Marshall 2555x
Splawn Quick Rod

Cabs:
4x12 1960TV

Guitars:
Gibson SG 61 RI
Gibson LP Traditional
ESP EC-400AT
ESP Relic'd Strat FR
Schecter C1 FR Standard

Other Gear:
Axe Fx II
Carvin DCM1540L
Old 07-01-2013, 09:55 PM   #23
Blcws6

keep at it bud doing good so far, if i had the capability I would join you in your comparisons.
Old 07-01-2013, 10:07 PM   #24
rmlevasseur

I'd like to hear a comparison of a more bluesy tone. This is where Marshalls always shine for me.
rmlevasseur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 10:57 PM   #25
marshallmellowed

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmlevasseur View Post
I'd like to hear a comparison of a more bluesy tone. This is where Marshalls always shine for me.
If you give me an example, I can try and give it a shot. As bluesy as I normally get is something like ZZ Top's "Just Got Paid", which is not really that bluesy.
Marshall 2555x
Splawn Quick Rod

Cabs:
4x12 1960TV

Guitars:
Gibson SG 61 RI
Gibson LP Traditional
ESP EC-400AT
ESP Relic'd Strat FR
Schecter C1 FR Standard

Other Gear:
Axe Fx II
Carvin DCM1540L
Old 07-02-2013, 12:11 PM   #26
marshallmellowed

2nd two clips, the settings of each amp will vary somewhat to better match the amps when using the YJM boost (tends to add treble). Amps had these settings...

50 watt mode,

YJM (Input 1, no jump)
EPA - 11:00
Boost Engaged
Boost Level - 10:00
Boost Volume - 5:00
Bass - 5:00
Middle - 5:00
Treble - 12:00
Input 1 Level - 5:00

QR-
Master - 1:00 (set to match level of YJM)
Presence - 3:00
Bass - 7:00
Gain - 3:00

Paranoid by AmpGuy on SoundCloud - Hear the world

Marshall 2555x
Splawn Quick Rod

Cabs:
4x12 1960TV

Guitars:
Gibson SG 61 RI
Gibson LP Traditional
ESP EC-400AT
ESP Relic'd Strat FR
Schecter C1 FR Standard

Other Gear:
Axe Fx II
Carvin DCM1540L
Old 07-02-2013, 12:30 PM   #27
Blcws6

man even with my trained ear I cannot hear a difference between the two on these two clips. Nicely done.
Old 07-02-2013, 11:58 PM   #28

Quote:
2nd two clips, the settings of each amp will vary somewhat to better match the amps when using the YJM boost (tends to add treble). Amps had these settings...

50 watt mode,

YJM (Input 1, no jump)
EPA - 11:00
Boost Engaged
Boost Level - 10:00
Boost Volume - 5:00
Bass - 5:00
Middle - 5:00
Input 1 Level - 5:00

QR-
Master - 1:00 (set to match level of YJM)
Presence - 3:00
Bass - 7:00
Gain - 3:00

I pick the the YJM100 as the first clip in this round. The Splawn is just a little more modern, tighter and more aggressive sounding. I do love Splawn amps and hope to get another one someday. If the YJM100 did not exist I would have bought another Splawn Quickrod when I sold my JVM and bought the YJM100. The Satriani JVM is another amp that sounds really interesting to me though I have not yet had a chance to play one. I can't imagine a time when my YJM100 would not be my main baby, but I would love to have a Splawn or Satrini JVM around too.

Old 07-03-2013, 10:20 AM   #29
aw9190

Quote:

This is in no way me showcasing my playing (sorry to massacre songs that most would know )

I recorded a little something with the QR and the TS so you could check it out. I usually run delay and chorus in the loop but didn't have it set up in the clip. boost is put on at the .46ish:

Last edited by aw9190; 07-03-2013 at 10:21 AM. Reason: forgot to mention when i kick the boost in
Old 07-03-2013, 05:11 PM   #30
marshallmellowed

Sounds good, I actually liked the tone without the boost more. I can see (or hear) that the boost makes it easier to get the harmonics going if that's what you're needing, just sounded more open without it to me. Then again, Warren always had a very trebly tone, so it fit what you were playing.
Marshall 2555x
Splawn Quick Rod

Cabs:
4x12 1960TV

Guitars:
Gibson SG 61 RI