MarshallForum.com
 
Go Back   MarshallForum.com > Music Gear > The Tone Zone
LIKE MarshallForum on Facebook FOLLOW MarshallForum on Twitter
  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2010, 02:01 PM   #1
Lespaulnmarshall
Senior Member
 
Lespaulnmarshall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Burning hell
Posts: 5,533
Tone lesson: The key to a 'Hendrix' tone

Tone lesson: The key to a 'Hendrix' tone:

Must haves:

- Fender (USA) Strat
- Fender custom shop 69' pickups
- Marshall tube amp
- Good cabinet

Stuff that can be handy:

- Good, all nickel, strings (e.g. John Pearce)
- Quality cables (Monster, Bullet Cable coily ect...)
- FuzzFace
- (Vox or Dunlop JH-1) Wah pedal

First, lets talk about the must haves:

First off, you won't get a Hendrix type of tone with a Les Paul, or anything else that isn't a real Fender Strat you need to get a good one preferably made in the USA, but the Japanese Fenders are great guitars too, especially for the price. Then you have to install some good pickups, Fender Custom Shop 69's are great for a Hendrix type of tone. And of cource you need a Marshall all tube amp, a JTM45, Super lead or VM wich works great for Hendrix too what I recomend. You gotta' mess around a little bit to get settings that sound good for you. And your cab needs to have Greenback speakers in it, but V30's can give you a good Hendrix type clean sound too.

The other stuff:

The strings need to be all nickel if you wat to get as close as you can. (John Pearce sounds best to me) And good cables will help to get the optimal sound out of your guitar. Than, the FuzzFace, it is realy important to have one if you want to get realy close to Hendrix's lead tone. Finaly, the wah pedal, essential, if you realy want to nail the Voodoo Child intro.

That's all you need to know I think.
__________________
1987x .Every guitarist should have experienced it at least once

Lespaulnmarshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 02:44 PM   #2
cudamax2343
Senior Member
 
cudamax2343's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Outside of Chicago
Posts: 772
Re: Tone lesson: The key to a 'Hendrix' tone

What about the fact that he used a regular right handed guitar restrung lefty that puts the strings in a different spot in relation to the pickup pole pieces and makes the usual strings longer and others shorter, ( it does make a difference ). It's always a good Idea to get those 69 pickups and flip-em. ( All the pole pieces are not flat on those ). And the fact that he ran a lot of 15" speaker cabs and that he played a lot of Bass notes with his thumb with those real long skinny fingers of his?
__________________
Always Running Dirty on 10
cudamax2343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 04:19 PM   #3
Lespaulnmarshall
Senior Member
 
Lespaulnmarshall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Burning hell
Posts: 5,533
Re: Tone lesson: The key to a 'Hendrix' tone

Quote:
Originally Posted by cudamax2343 View Post
What about the fact that he used a regular right handed guitar restrung lefty that puts the strings in a different spot in relation to the pickup pole pieces and makes the usual strings longer and others shorter, ( it does make a difference ). It's always a good Idea to get those 69 pickups and flip-em. ( All the pole pieces are not flat on those ). And the fact that he ran a lot of 15" speaker cabs and that he played a lot of Bass notes with his thumb with those real long skinny fingers of his?
That's what I forgot, thanks for helping me remember that stuff.
BTW, 69' pickups should be called the Hendrix pickups.
I've noutht them today, and they are extremely expencive, but you realy get what you pay for.
__________________
1987x .Every guitarist should have experienced it at least once

Lespaulnmarshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 05:20 PM   #4
benjammin420
Senior Member
 
benjammin420's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 297
Re: Tone lesson: The key to a 'Hendrix' tone

one element too is, in most live and many recording situations, he always kept the fuzz pedal on, and he used the guitars volume to clean up

case in point, the guitar is clean until 1:52-1:53 where the distortion comes in, but its not a sudden, stepping-on-a-pedal kind of transition
benjammin420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 06:31 PM   #5
DBI5
Senior Member
 
DBI5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 800
Re: Tone lesson: The key to a 'Hendrix' tone

Don't forget the Univox Uni-Vibe and the Roger Mayer Octavia.
DBI5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 06:43 PM   #6
cudamax2343
Senior Member
 
cudamax2343's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Outside of Chicago
Posts: 772
Re: Tone lesson: The key to a 'Hendrix' tone

And of course we all forgot that 'Famous Head-Ban-dana' Man
Can't forget all that late 60's and Early 70's Blotter-Acid on paper with all those nice different designs that he put on his head under those bandana's for that special juice to absorb into his blood stream and provide that style of play-in I bet-cha that really helped
__________________
Always Running Dirty on 10
cudamax2343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 07:05 PM   #7
MonstersOfTheMidway
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 3,515
Send a message via ICQ to MonstersOfTheMidway
Re: Tone lesson: The key to a 'Hendrix' tone

I have also read in various intereview with bandmates and producers that Hendrix would sometimes rewind his pickups himself. Not every guitar pickup had this action performed, but who knows which recordings featured a guitar with this application.

Bottom line is that it's tough to go into a store and be 100% dead on (I've heard the claims and after viewing some evidence, sometimes I agree and sometimes I don't). Using a strat and marshall amp is a step in the right direction, but it takes some work. I have gotten over the whole "sound like a guitar hero" phase and just work on getting a good tone and a good song written. But IMHO, the only benefit I see in trying to get some else's sound is that it teaches you how to work the equipment and tweak amp and guitar controls to get a variety of sounds.
MonstersOfTheMidway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 07:06 PM   #8
cudamax2343
Senior Member
 
cudamax2343's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Outside of Chicago
Posts: 772
Re: Tone lesson: The key to a 'Hendrix' tone

Is this the 69 style (the old yellowed staggered one in the back) next to the vintage noiseless one?
__________________
Always Running Dirty on 10
cudamax2343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 09:15 PM   #9
Mike_j
Senior Member
 
Mike_j's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 981
Re: Tone lesson: The key to a 'Hendrix' tone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lespaulnmarshall View Post
That's all you need to know I think.
Complete ****ing bull****. Listing a great players gear as a key to capturing their tone is just bollocks. It only gets you to the start line.

IMO-The real key to Hendrix' tone, and that of all great players, was in their fingers, technique and spirit of playing. What we could do is take page out their books and try and pioneer our own sounds but that's a bit too hard isn't it?

Sorry...venting.
__________________
"...the world is your oyster but your future's a clam..."
Mike_j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 10:32 AM   #10
Lespaulnmarshall
Senior Member
 
Lespaulnmarshall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Burning hell
Posts: 5,533
Re: Tone lesson: The key to a 'Hendrix' tone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_j View Post
Complete ****ing bull****. Listing a great players gear as a key to capturing their tone is just bollocks. It only gets you to the start line.

IMO-The real key to Hendrix' tone, and that of all great players, was in their fingers, technique and spirit of playing. What we could do is take page out their books and try and pioneer our own sounds but that's a bit too hard isn't it?

Sorry...venting.
Ohh yes it is a start line, but I can't explain you more cause you'll have to figure that ou your own.

BTW, tone is not all in the fingers, but I can agree if you say for 40-50%
__________________
1987x .Every guitarist should have experienced it at least once

Lespaulnmarshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 10:33 AM   #11
Lespaulnmarshall
Senior Member
 
Lespaulnmarshall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Burning hell
Posts: 5,533
Re: Tone lesson: The key to a 'Hendrix' tone

Quote:
Originally Posted by cudamax2343 View Post
Is this the 69 style (the old yellowed staggered one in the back) next to the vintage noiseless one?
Don't know, but at least I'm sure it is a Custom Shop pickup because the magnets have different sizes.
__________________
1987x .Every guitarist should have experienced it at least once

Lespaulnmarshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 10:40 AM   #12
Lespaulnmarshall
Senior Member
 
Lespaulnmarshall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Burning hell
Posts: 5,533
Re: Tone lesson: The key to a 'Hendrix' tone

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonstersOfTheMidway View Post
I have also read in various intereview with bandmates and producers that Hendrix would sometimes rewind his pickups himself. Not every guitar pickup had this action performed, but who knows which recordings featured a guitar with this application.

Bottom line is that it's tough to go into a store and be 100% dead on (I've heard the claims and after viewing some evidence, sometimes I agree and sometimes I don't). Using a strat and marshall amp is a step in the right direction, but it takes some work. I have gotten over the whole "sound like a guitar hero" phase and just work on getting a good tone and a good song written. But IMHO, the only benefit I see in trying to get some else's sound is that it teaches you how to work the equipment and tweak amp and guitar controls to get a variety of sounds.
What you have said on the pickups can be true.

On the sound, I can agree. To be honest, I made this thread to help myself and other guys that are interedssed for Hendrix by reading your replys to what I've said to find a similar tone to Hendrixs to base my tone on for my 'tribute to Jimi' CD on.

BTW, most of the guys posted the replys I was expecting, but some of you like monstersofthemidway said something on the pickups or benjamin420 who told about the fuzz that was allways on. Those things help me a lot to make a tone for my CD.
__________________
1987x .Every guitarist should have experienced it at least once


Last edited by Lespaulnmarshall; 04-10-2010 at 04:48 AM.
Lespaulnmarshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 02:54 PM   #13
big dooley
V.I.P. Member
 
big dooley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 6,778
Re: Tone lesson: The key to a 'Hendrix' tone




__________________
JVM, the only marshall that's been modded to tame it, instead of hotrodding it
big dooley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 04:48 AM   #14
Lespaulnmarshall
Senior Member
 
Lespaulnmarshall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Burning hell
Posts: 5,533
Re: Tone lesson: The key to a 'Hendrix' tone

Quote:
Originally Posted by big dooley View Post
:d


__________________
1987x .Every guitarist should have experienced it at least once

Lespaulnmarshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 05:36 AM   #15
MajorNut1967
Senior Member
 
MajorNut1967's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3,883
Re: Tone lesson: The key to a 'Hendrix' tone

Bloody Right Dooley! cork A+ And LespaulMarshall! Just sounds a bit funny ehy, on about Jimi?
MajorNut1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 10:03 AM   #16
big dooley
V.I.P. Member
 
big dooley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 6,778
Re: Tone lesson: The key to a 'Hendrix' tone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lespaulnmarshall View Post
dit soort topics noemen ze hier kurken ruiken... zoals bij wijn... snappie?

flauw geintje... ik weet het...
__________________
JVM, the only marshall that's been modded to tame it, instead of hotrodding it
big dooley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 10:14 AM   #17
gunboatstudio
Senior Member
 
gunboatstudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Western MA
Posts: 506
Re: Tone lesson: The key to a 'Hendrix' tone

Quote:
Originally Posted by big dooley View Post
dit soort topics noemen ze hier kurken ruiken... zoals bij wijn... snappie?

flauw geintje... ik weet het...

I love Google Translate!

"that they call cork smell ... As with wine ... savvy?

silly joke ... I know ..."

Wait... what?
gunboatstudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 01:28 PM   #18
Lespaulnmarshall
Senior Member
 
Lespaulnmarshall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Burning hell
Posts: 5,533
Re: Tone lesson: The key to a 'Hendrix' tone

Quote:
Originally Posted by big dooley View Post
dit soort topics noemen ze hier kurken ruiken... zoals bij wijn... snappie?

flauw geintje... ik weet het...
Begrijp het, t' was ook niet zo slim van mij om deze te maken, maar ik wil gewon zoveel mogelijk over het geluid van Jimi Hendrix te weten komen voor mijn CD. Maar het is helaas niet zo uitgepakt als ik had verwacht.
__________________
1987x .Every guitarist should have experienced it at least once

Lespaulnmarshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 01:34 PM   #19
big dooley
V.I.P. Member
 
big dooley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 6,778
Re: Tone lesson: The key to a 'Hendrix' tone

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunboatstudio View Post
I love Google Translate!

"that they call cork smell ... As with wine ... savvy?

silly joke ... I know ..."

Wait... what?
ok, well here's the translation...

Quote:
around here, they call topics like this "cork sniffing" like you do with wine, get it?
little blunt joke, i know
__________________
JVM, the only marshall that's been modded to tame it, instead of hotrodding it
big dooley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 01:35 PM   #20
big dooley
V.I.P. Member
 
big dooley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 6,778
Re: Tone lesson: The key to a 'Hendrix' tone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lespaulnmarshall View Post
Begrijp het, t' was ook niet zo slim van mij om deze te maken, maar ik wil gewon zoveel mogelijk over het geluid van Jimi Hendrix te weten komen voor mijn CD. Maar het is helaas niet zo uitgepakt als ik had verwacht.
ja, nou bezorg je me een schuldgevoel
__________________
JVM, the only marshall that's been modded to tame it, instead of hotrodding it
big dooley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 01:45 PM   #21
Lespaulnmarshall
Senior Member
 
Lespaulnmarshall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Burning hell
Posts: 5,533
Re: Tone lesson: The key to a 'Hendrix' tone

Quote:
Originally Posted by big dooley View Post
ja, nou bezorg je me een schuldgevoel
Dat hoeft niet... Je maakte tog alleen maar een grapje.
__________________
1987x .Every guitarist should have experienced it at least once

Lespaulnmarshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 02:22 PM   #22
j2112c
Senior Member
 
j2112c's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Wales, UK
Posts: 3,563
Re: Tone lesson: The key to a 'Hendrix' tone

What the **** are you guys saying?

... Wilt u ons allen te verlichten?!

The Google Translator is rubbish it says you are arguing over Saurkraut and Spetzel recipes from your Grandmothers.... this cannot be true...!
We all know the best Saurkraut comes in a bottle from Pek Poland!! ha ha
__________________
John C
j2112c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 02:46 PM   #23
Lespaulnmarshall
Senior Member
 
Lespaulnmarshall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Burning hell
Posts: 5,533
Re: Tone lesson: The key to a 'Hendrix' tone

Quote:
Originally Posted by j2112c View Post
What the **** are you guys saying?

... Wilt u ons allen te verlichten?!

The Google Translator is rubbish it says you are arguing over Saurkraut and Spetzel recipes from your Grandmothers.... this cannot be true...!
We all know the best Saurkraut comes in a bottle from Pek Poland!! ha ha
It was nothing special...
__________________
1987x .Every guitarist should have experienced it at least once

Lespaulnmarshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 03:09 PM   #24
big dooley
V.I.P. Member
 
big dooley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 6,778
Re: Tone lesson: The key to a 'Hendrix' tone

Quote:
Originally Posted by j2112c View Post
What the **** are you guys saying?

... Wilt u ons allen te verlichten?!

The Google Translator is rubbish it says you are arguing over Saurkraut and Spetzel recipes from your Grandmothers.... this cannot be true...!
We all know the best Saurkraut comes in a bottle from Pek Poland!! ha ha
saurkraut??? that's weird... i cannot find the word "zuurkool" (speak out: zure-coal)

serious: i'm gonna quit now... this topic has been screwed up and it's my fault
__________________
JVM, the only marshall that's been modded to tame it, instead of hotrodding it
big dooley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 03:59 PM   #25
MajorNut1967
Senior Member
 
MajorNut1967's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3,883
Re: Tone lesson: The key to a 'Hendrix' tone

Wat zal zij zeggen zijn: Trek cork uit uw neus en zet het in uw anussen!" dat is zeer grappig
MajorNut1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 04:01 PM   #26
MajorNut1967
Senior Member
 
MajorNut1967's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3,883
Re: Tone lesson: The key to a 'Hendrix' tone

Quote:
Originally Posted by big dooley View Post
saurkraut??? that's weird... i cannot find the word "zuurkool" (speak out: zure-coal)

serious: i'm gonna quit now... this topic has been screwed up and it's my fault
LOL yes but its funny
MajorNut1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 04:39 AM   #27
Lespaulnmarshall
Senior Member
 
Lespaulnmarshall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Burning hell
Posts: 5,533
Re: Tone lesson: The key to a 'Hendrix' tone

Quote:
Originally Posted by big dooley View Post
saurkraut??? that's weird... i cannot find the word "zuurkool" (speak out: zure-coal)

serious: i'm gonna quit now... this topic has been screwed up and it's my fault
Well I don't realy care
It's funny for the guys that can't speak dutch, and for us it's funny to see the crappy translations by Google.
__________________
1987x .Every guitarist should have experienced it at least once

Lespaulnmarshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 04:59 AM   #28
bloosman1
Senior Member
 
bloosman1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 814
Re: Tone lesson: The key to a 'Hendrix' tone

I learned "Voodoo Chile" (Slight return) in 1974 (I was 16) on a '63 princeton amp w/ a '63 strat, a big muff pi and a thomas organ co. crybaby, and you know what.... it sounded like Hendrix.
__________________
Mean spirited people and elitists suck!
Amps:
JCM 2000 DSL 100
1960 A Cab.
Orange AD30 TC combo
Fender Pro Jr.
Pignose
Axes:
Fender 2009 American Standard Strat
Fender 81 modified strat
Fender 98 mim modified strat
Fender 04 Highway 1 strat
Gibson Swamp Ash Les Paul Studio
Gibson SG Gothic
Taylor SB 2-S (Solid body)
Taylor Acoustic
Dobro 'M' Series
Effects:
Everything from a PODxt
to analog...too darn many
bloosman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 06:49 AM   #29
j2112c
Senior Member
 
j2112c's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Wales, UK
Posts: 3,563
Re: Tone lesson: The key to a 'Hendrix' tone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lespaulnmarshall View Post
Well I don't realy care
It's funny for the guys that can't speak dutch, and for us it's funny to see the crappy translations by Google.
Very Cool!

Natuurlijk moet je weten allebei dat mijn oma zurecool is de beste in het Verenigd Koninkrijk geeft zwerver wind die een huis kan verwarmen voor een week!

Ik hoop dat dit vertaalt zich verschrikkelijk en is grappig!


Hendrix had an amazing sparkling clean tone that people often don't mention.
Any ideas what he did for that... cranked up amp with a backed off guitar or the amp backed off?

Or (shock) was it even a Marshall on all the recordings!?? eek?
__________________
John C
j2112c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 02:07 PM   #30
Lespaulnmarshall
Senior Member
 
Lespaulnmarshall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Burning hell
Posts: 5,533
Re: Tone lesson: The key to a 'Hendrix' tone

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloosman1 View Post
I learned "Voodoo Chile" (Slight return) in 1974 (I was 16) on a '63 princeton amp w/ a '63 strat, a big muff pi and a thomas organ co. crybaby, and you know what.... it sounded like Hendrix.
That can be true, Hendrix used fender amps and big muff's and cry baby's too.
__________________
1987x .Every guitarist should have experienced it at least once

Lespaulnmarshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:52 PM.


Find us on Facebook!   Follow us on Twitter!

Our Network: PRS Guitar Forum | Luthier Forum | SG Guitar Forum | Les Paul Forum | Music Gear Forum | 7 String Guitar Forum | Acoustic Guitar Forum

MarshallForum proudly supports St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

Copyright © 2005-2016, MarshallForum.com. All Rights Reserved.