MarshallForum.com
 
Go Back   MarshallForum.com > The Amps > Marshall Amps
Heritage Guitar Talk - Click here! LIKE MarshallForum on Facebook FOLLOW MarshallForum on Twitter
  
Like Tree51Likes

Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 10-22-2013, 07:14 PM   #1 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Nathan Brown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: East Maitland, NSW Australia
Posts: 2,355
What head should I get for my birthday? With a cab :)

I don't know what head to get for my birthday, but that is next May yet, but I want something to keep me occupied till then, so what head should I get ? :S I am confused as to get the DSL 100 or a cheap Superbass head and mod it to SuperLead specs, but I like the older Marshalls tho so recommend me some older heads, btw my budget is like $2000 so I need a cheap head and cab, I prefer 4x12s though
__________________
I play because I love it, not because of the fame and money.
Nathan Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2013, 07:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Inside Ming Ming's Magic Stink Box
Posts: 5,227
Re: What head should I get for my birthday? With a cab :)

You mean you don't want a free one this time?
CaptainZero and The Ozzk like this.
BlackSG91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2013, 07:54 PM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Nathan Brown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: East Maitland, NSW Australia
Posts: 2,355
Re: What head should I get for my birthday? With a cab :)

Yeah, but most free Marshalls are broken ones, but if I do end up getting a free Marshall, lets not hope it's broken
BlackSG91 likes this.
__________________
I play because I love it, not because of the fame and money.
Nathan Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2013, 08:06 PM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
CaptainZero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 7,096
Re: What head should I get for my birthday? With a cab :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Brown View Post
Yeah, but most free Marshalls are broken ones, but if I do end up getting a free Marshall, lets not hope it's broken
I was going to say, ANY head on your birthday (or any other day), is a good head.

Otherwise, it's up to you.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grunch View Post
Everytime I get a like, Santa Claus kills a kitten, and I masterbate furiously.
CaptainZero is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2013, 08:17 PM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Nathan Brown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: East Maitland, NSW Australia
Posts: 2,355
Re: What head should I get for my birthday? With a cab :)

I was thinking along the lines of JMP/SuperLead head
__________________
I play because I love it, not because of the fame and money.
Nathan Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2013, 08:34 PM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
shredless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 4,391
Re: What head should I get for my birthday? With a cab :)

Id ask for a fellatio head
HOT TUBES 70 and guitargoalie like this.
shredless is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2013, 09:12 PM   #7 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Inside Ming Ming's Magic Stink Box
Posts: 5,227
Re: What head should I get for my birthday? With a cab :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shredless View Post
Id ask for a fellatio head
Does that head take microphones well?

BlackSG91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2013, 09:16 PM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
SmokeyDopey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Argentina
Posts: 9,659
Re: What head should I get for my birthday? With a cab :)

One with no teeth! I don't understand the cab part.
SmokeyDopey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2013, 10:01 PM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
pedecamp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 6,481
Re: What head should I get for my birthday? With a cab :)

Hey I have an idea, why dont you create a thread about this in every section of the forum then you'll get thousands of responses to help you decide on what to get! Forget about the half or full stack, thats so yesterday, go for the mega stack!
__________________
JCM800 2204
pedecamp is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2013, 10:14 PM   #10 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
SmokeyDopey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Argentina
Posts: 9,659
Re: What head should I get for my birthday? With a cab :)

Forget my nonsense jibberish.
If you want a head, maybe aim for a DSL, and work your way up with time. Go easy, don't rush it. Enjoy every step. It's a nice feeling when you upgrade the amp and experience it in a better way (or different way). At least that's what I convince myself of.
guitargoalie likes this.
SmokeyDopey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2013, 06:12 AM   #11 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Rodney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 477
Re: What head should I get for my birthday? With a cab :)

1959HW into a 1960TV cab or if you don't want earth shattering volume then a JTM45 and 1960TV cab , I currently have the first selection and it sounds so good.
Rodney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2013, 12:28 PM   #12 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Nathan Brown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: East Maitland, NSW Australia
Posts: 2,355
Re: What head should I get for my birthday? With a cab :)

I do want a loud amp, my ears love loud amps, I do not know why, I want to find two 1960TV A and B cabs to have a full stack in my room, or four cabs hooked up for live situations, I would be the Hendrix of my era in terms of loudness, but with minimal effects like he did, which will be based on his tone, but with a bit of more gain
__________________
I play because I love it, not because of the fame and money.
Nathan Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2013, 12:28 PM   #13 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Nathan Brown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: East Maitland, NSW Australia
Posts: 2,355
Re: What head should I get for my birthday? With a cab :)

And also the trouble is I prefer vintage amps but at a cheaper price like 1/3rd of retail prices
__________________
I play because I love it, not because of the fame and money.
Nathan Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2013, 12:35 PM   #14 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
The Ozzk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 4,474
Re: What head should I get for my birthday? With a cab :)



Raising fine teenagers since 2007
__________________
Amps:
97' 1959 RI
09' VM2466
12' JMD102
11' C5H
Cabs:
JCM1982A 4x12
JCM1982B 4x12
1982B LTD 4x12
C110
The Ozzk is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2013, 12:46 PM   #15 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Inside Ming Ming's Magic Stink Box
Posts: 5,227
Re: What head should I get for my birthday? With a cab :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Brown View Post
And also the trouble is I prefer vintage amps but at a cheaper price like 1/3rd of retail prices
Are you that.........?

BlackSG91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2013, 12:50 PM   #16 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Nathan Brown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: East Maitland, NSW Australia
Posts: 2,355
Re: What head should I get for my birthday? With a cab :)

You know, like $240 cheaper, I like the 70s era amps because Angus Young of AC/DC used a JMP for his tone
__________________
I play because I love it, not because of the fame and money.
Nathan Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2013, 12:52 PM   #17 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Inside Ming Ming's Magic Stink Box
Posts: 5,227
Re: What head should I get for my birthday? With a cab :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Brown View Post
You know, like $240 cheaper, I like the 70s era amps because Angus Young of AC/DC used a JMP for his tone
He used many different amps...even a JTM. Depending on the model, some vintage amps can go for a very high price tag.
BlackSG91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2013, 12:54 PM   #18 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Nathan Brown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: East Maitland, NSW Australia
Posts: 2,355
Re: What head should I get for my birthday? With a cab :)

Well I am checking out a Superbass head that has been modded to SuperLead specs and it seems like a nice clean head it is from '74 but it would be a nice heavy gigged amp, I'd probably use it for bedroom practise like I do my Vox
__________________
I play because I love it, not because of the fame and money.
Nathan Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2013, 01:05 PM   #19 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 1,849
Re: What head should I get for my birthday? With a cab :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Brown View Post
I do want a loud amp, my ears love loud amps, I do not know why, I want to find two 1960TV A and B cabs to have a full stack in my room, or four cabs hooked up for live situations, I would be the Hendrix of my era in terms of loudness, but with minimal effects like he did, which will be based on his tone, but with a bit of more gain
Didn't you say somewhere that you were 15 years old? How exactly are you swinging all this gear or is it just a pipe dream? Do you cut a lot of grass? Wealthy parents perhaps? I'm just saying if your talking up your NAD 6 months before it happens you better not let us down when you find your 15 year old budget can only swing a Line 6.
Darth Federer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2013, 01:06 PM   #20 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 1,849
Re: What head should I get for my birthday? With a cab :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ozzk View Post


Raising fine teenagers since 2007
Too funny. Well played sir.
The Ozzk likes this.
Darth Federer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2013, 01:21 PM   #21 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
GIBSON67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Lakeland, TN
Posts: 6,199
Re: What head should I get for my birthday? With a cab :)

Definitely get an already modded Plexi or Metalface and don't mod any original Marshall layout, there are plenty of already modded Marshalls out there, so don't chop up another...

With that said, look for original transformers and talk to Marty about getting some NOS tubes for that beast!
GIBSON67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2013, 01:28 PM   #22 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Inside Ming Ming's Magic Stink Box
Posts: 5,227
Re: What head should I get for my birthday? With a cab :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Brown View Post
Well I am checking out a Superbass head that has been modded to SuperLead specs and it seems like a nice clean head it is from '74 but it would be a nice heavy gigged amp, I'd probably use it for bedroom practise like I do my Vox
Is your bedroom the size of a warehouse or what? Maybe all you need is a Marshall Class-5 amp combo. They're cheap and you can get one for around $300? And speaking of warehouses...

BlackSG91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2013, 04:11 PM   #23 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
lucidspoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Avon, IN
Posts: 1,890
Re: What head should I get for my birthday? With a cab :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Brown View Post
I do want a loud amp, my ears love loud amps, I do not know why, I want to find two 1960TV A and B cabs to have a full stack in my room, or four cabs hooked up for live situations, I would be the Hendrix of my era in terms of loudness, but with minimal effects like he did, which will be based on his tone, but with a bit of more gain
Good luck finding a sound guy who will work with you...
Sir Punk and Nathan Brown like this.
__________________
(⌐■_■)

Guitars
Gibson LP Studio '50s Tribute GT ■ Epiphone LP Custom Silverburst ■ Fender JA-90 Telecaster ■ Aria Pro II TA-50 ■ B.C. Rich Series 3 Acoustic-Electric ■ Epiphone Thunderbird Bass
Effects
Eleven Rack ■ Boss SD-1 ■ Dunlop Cry Baby Wah ■ ModTone Deep Dive Octave Plus ■ Akai Chorus ■ Boss NS-2
Amps
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100 ■ Marshall Class5 Head ■ Blackstar HT Studio 20H ■ Vox AC30C2 ■ Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Cabinets
Marshall MC412 with V30 ■ Blackstar HTV-212
lucidspoon is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2013, 04:52 PM   #24 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
kamran's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: California
Posts: 1,686
Re: What head should I get for my birthday? With a cab :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Brown View Post
I do want a loud amp, my ears love loud amps, I do not know why, I want to find two 1960TV A and B cabs to have a full stack in my room, or four cabs hooked up for live situations, I would be the Hendrix of my era in terms of loudness, but with minimal effects like he did, which will be based on his tone, but with a bit of more gain
I guarantee you'll never run 4 cabs at once at a gig until you're playing arenas, and even then probably just two. We all like it loud but come on, be reasonable.
__________________
____________________________________________
JVM210H
1959SLP Dookie mod
1985 Mosfet Lead 100
Marshall 1960A
Marshall 1960BX
Avatar G412B Vintage with Vintage 30's
Les Pauls n Strats

Victim of Society
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Victim...91497534209866


Quote:
Originally Posted by FFXIhealer View Post
That's why I didn't want to ask what tubes to get here. Everyone's biased.
kamran is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2013, 10:07 PM   #25 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Nathan Brown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: East Maitland, NSW Australia
Posts: 2,355
Re: What head should I get for my birthday? With a cab :)

Well my mother is saving up for a head, and a cab too, but Kamran says he may be able to trade his MOSFET lead 100 for my Vox, and then when I get it in the mail it will be set for an AC/DC sound
__________________
I play because I love it, not because of the fame and money.
Nathan Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2013, 10:10 PM   #26 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Australian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 13,167
Re: What head should I get for my birthday? With a cab :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Brown View Post
Well my mother is saving up for a head, and a cab too, but Kamran says he may be able to trade his MOSFET lead 100 for my Vox, and then when I get it in the mail it will be set for an AC/DC sound
If your mum is single and hot, there are a few guys here on the Forum that would lend you a Marshall stack.
BlackSG91 and AntonPlaysRock like this.
Australian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2013, 10:15 PM   #27 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
SmokeyDopey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Argentina
Posts: 9,659
Re: What head should I get for my birthday? With a cab :)

Women trouble, Aussie? Sorry to hear that bro
SmokeyDopey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2013, 10:20 PM   #28 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Nathan Brown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: East Maitland, NSW Australia
Posts: 2,355
Re: What head should I get for my birthday? With a cab :)

Haha yes she is single but she's faking it with this Rob guy, but he's cool, but if anyone can lend me one I'd be happy as a bird in its nest
__________________
I play because I love it, not because of the fame and money.
Nathan Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2013, 10:20 PM   #29 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Nathan Brown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: East Maitland, NSW Australia
Posts: 2,355
Re: What head should I get for my birthday? With a cab :)

Though I would point it at my window, because of my jerk neighbours who always blast loud music, I will blast AC/DC on through the Marshall for days haha
BlackSG91 likes this.
__________________
I play because I love it, not because of the fame and money.
Nathan Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2013, 10:42 PM   #30 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
HOT TUBES 70's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: The frozen hell called Canada !
Posts: 10,058
Re: What head should I get for my birthday? With a cab :)

Do yourself a favor ... get one of these !



Marshall 30th Anniversary 6100 ( EL34 version pictured !)


__________________


Building great sounding pedals one at a time the old fashion way
Onflooraudio@hotmail.com

Marshall 6100 amp & Midi Support Service
http://home.myfairpoint.net/vze1u14s...ice/index.html
HOT TUBES 70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:20 PM.


Find us on Facebook!   Follow us on Twitter!

Our Network: PRS Guitar Forum | Luthier Forum | SG Guitar Forum | Les Paul Forum | Music Gear Forum | 7 String Guitar Forum | Acoustic Guitar Forum

MarshallForum proudly supports St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

Copyright © 2005-2015, MarshallForum.com. All Rights Reserved.